• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Evacuation Of Children World War 2

what a smashing photo jim which leads to wonder who was your evacuee... its a long shot to try and trace her but it would be lovely to give a copy of the photo to either jean or her family..

lyn

what a smashing photo jim which leads to wonder who was your evacuee... its a long shot to try and trace her but it would be lovely to give a copy of the photo to either jean or her family..

lyn
True! I guess she would be about 85. Not many clues only my very iffy memories, think she originally came from Barking in Essex. If anyone would like to try to track her down, I only have access to the free BMD these days.

This is a magazine called Sentinel from Icknield Street Boys School 1939 on their evacuation to Cinderford.

Attachments

• Icknield Street School Hockley Xmas 1939.JPG
    Icknield Street School Hockley Xmas 1939.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Icknield Street School Hockley Xmas 1939 page 2.JPG
    Icknield Street School Hockley Xmas 1939 page 2.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Icknield Street School Hockley Xmas 1939 page 3.JPG
    Icknield Street School Hockley Xmas 1939 page 3.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Icknield Street School Hockley Xmas 1939 page 3a.JPG
    Icknield Street School Hockley Xmas 1939 page 3a.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Icknield Street School Hockley Xmas 1939 page 4.JPG
    Icknield Street School Hockley Xmas 1939 page 4.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Icknield Street School Hockley Xmas 1939 page 5.JPG
    Icknield Street School Hockley Xmas 1939 page 5.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Icknield Street School Hockley Xmas 1939 page 6.JPG
    Icknield Street School Hockley Xmas 1939 page 6.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Icknield Street School Hockley Xmas 1939 page 7.JPG
    Icknield Street School Hockley Xmas 1939 page 7.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Icknield Street School Hockley Xmas 1939 page 8.JPG
    Icknield Street School Hockley Xmas 1939 page 8.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 6
Birmingham boys evacuated to South Wales. Hard to say if it’s one school or a mix. I think it’s most likely one school such as KEGS (?).They seem to be wearing school uniform. In amongst them is a cap, striped top socks, striped tie, and possibly a badge on the blazer of the boy far right and 3 boys to the left of him. Viv.

0E97D4D6-B00E-4CFA-B34D-4C0CE8D17C2F.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

That’s interesting Pedro. It seems to suggest these were KEGS pupils then. Looks like the whole school was decamped to Monmouth. Viv.

Not sure if this has been said but the Rosary primary school from Saltley was evacuated to Amington near Tamworth. My Dad's class had lessons in a room at the pub and his younger brother ended up in the band room. Not sure who had the best deal.

We lived in Shirley during the war which our Mom and Dad thought was fairly safe so we were not evacuated. Wrong decision, a bomb landed close by damaging our house (we were in our Morrison shelter at the time) but 3 weeks later house repaired and we were back in it and no more close calls, This was November 1940, I was 10, my sisters were 6 and 8. Eric

Worth remembering that today marks the 83rd anniversary of the First Evacuation of children from Birmingham and other industrialised areas - 1st September 1939.

Also a moment to remember Beryl M who started this wonderful thread a long time ago....and it's still worth re-reading through!

Chris

Last edited:
Having just started infants school I arrived one morning to see Corporation buses parked outside and many children with labels tied to their coats queuing to get on the buses for evacuation. There were many tearful scenes with some children and some mothers crying. I remember wondering why I was not being evacuated because my parents hadn't said anything about it, but you didn't ask awkward questions in those days.

About a year later my parents might have had second thoughts when something happened and I commented about it in another thread.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/air-raid-shelters.35513/post-731698

I made time to read the whole thread today. I found very interesting and informative. It also showed how the war shifted towards the end when Birmingham was a recipient rather than a contributor

It is a pity there are no locations or dates for those photos.
The buses are either Western or Southern National vehicles. Unlikely to be Eastern National as that was too close to mainland Europe.

The middle picture comes from the book Thinking through History by Peter Fisher. Picture of South Shields children
leaving by train 7 July 1941.

Birmingham boys evacuated to South Wales. Hard to say if it’s one school or a mix. I think it’s most likely one school such as KEGS (?).They seem to be wearing school uniform. In amongst them is a cap, striped top socks, striped tie, and possibly a badge on the blazer of the boy far right and 3 boys to the left of him. Viv.

View attachment 159579
Source: British Newspaper Archive
That looks like the Central GS blazer badge to me.

Not sure if this has been said but the Rosary primary school from Saltley was evacuated to Amington near Tamworth. My Dad's class had lessons in a room at the pub and his younger brother ended up in the band room. Not sure who had the best deal.
Hi pjmburns. I found your comment interesting as 3 of my sisters were evacuated to Amington Tamworth. I was too young to go being just over 2 years old in September 1939 when I assume they left home. They attended The Rosary too so probably travelled on the same train as your dad. One sister was billeted with a coal miner and his family appropriately named Black who lived near the Little Pigs pub. At the time they were 5, 7 and 9. All are still with us but remember very little about that period.

These children went to Worcestershire probably from the Bordesley Green area. Viv.

36EC776E-06E6-43C7-A072-C481CD1CF403.jpeg97268329-9020-40BF-9F5F-DE3467286C0B.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Achive

Back