• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Eureka Dairy

loisand

master brummie
Hi, am looking for information on Eureka Dairy, Victoria Road, Aston, possibly pre 1930, thank you in advance.

May have been a dairy and confectioners shop at 436 Victoria Road and owned by Jones. Noted that David Jones died at that address in 1944.

According to the electoral register, it was occupied by David Phillip Jones till 1930, and then by Frederick Sydney Webster till 1947

Should add that online registers do not cover every year. David Jones is there 1930, and the next online where he is absent, and Frederick Webster is there is in 1935

David Jones was 78 when he died, and may well have stayed on at the premises after retiring. Here is the 1945 published map and the dairy would be between the Sally Army and Lichfield Road.

7AD30DB0-F6C4-4EEA-8E76-1B3A2FEF607B.jpeg

The Jones’ family were there in 1917 according to this advert at which time it was a dairy and confectioner’s shop. (Advert from the Birmingham Daily Post dated 7/3/1917). Viv.

22F40755-EBB7-497A-A38E-B5F35A9F34F8.jpeg

David jones dairy is listed in the 1908 Kellys, which would probably refer to 1907, but there is no listing for the building in the 1904 edition

The Jones’ family were there in 1917 according to this advert at which time it was a dairy and confectioner’s shop. (Advert from the Birmingham Daily Post dated 7/3/1917). Viv.

View attachment 144266
Wow, thank you, so am now wondering, my great uncle was perhaps living there, because that's the address I have discovered in an address book for correspondence, then from that address he then went to the White Hart Inn, Sparkbrook, thank you so much, it's nice when you actually see the address your looking for!

Well Ive been able to connect all the dots on this one.....David Phillip Jones, born 1867 Carmathen, Wales, is the father of Elizabeth Gladys Jones, b1903 Aston, who married Robert William Burrows in 1927....Robert is my great uncle, making Elizabeth my great aunt!!! Thank you every one for your help, things come to you in the most unsual places! on the 1911 census it is down as 436 Victoria Road, with David being a dairy man dealer, there are quite a few brothers and sisters but none are named on the census, so that's my next task is to find and name, thank you all.

Back