• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Memories : Essence Of The 50s And 60s

I have just spent some time reading through all these posting and can relate and enjoyed all the memories, When look about me and read and watch the currant news, I realize what a wonderful we lived in the 50's , not much money, but a fantastic closeness with neighbors and family, and the love of just living, so very different now , Paul

Frozen windows on the inside.
The Champions.
The sound of milk bottles being carried.
Shared national pride when England won the world cup.
Butter in a bucket of water on really hot summer days.
The man who lay on broken glass in the Bull Ring and passed his cap round for money.
Bag of crisps with the little blue bag of salt.
Father Christmas at Lewis's.
The Magic Robot.
Jublees and Lucky Bags
The Outdoor
World Cup Willy
Bubble Cars
Those orange stick things, trafficators that cars had before indicator lights .
330px-Armstrong_Siddeley_Sapphire_Winker.jpg

Gran turning the kitchen into a sauna when she boiled the christmas pudding for hours.
The smell of tripe cooking (now I really wish I hadn't remembered that).
Jumping Jack fireworks
Christmas food shopping in the Co-op in Birmingham...the crowds, oh the humanity...I want to go home mom!
The smell of gas at the dentist.
The sugar cube vaccine against polio.
Mrs Dale's Diary
That boy in school with the snotty nose who was nicknamed 'Candles'.
National Health wire glasses that kids wore with one lens covered up with a plaster.
Factory sirens
Those coconut mats with millions of needles that teachers made you gambol on.
The cane!
Tin bath on a saturday night.
Men wearing suits in pubs.
Bus conductors
"Penny for the Guy, mister?"...me on Aston Road North begging.

When my mother took me into the city and the old market, I use to listen for the man shouting "Paper Carriers".

A strange thing I remember from the 1950's were 'Pig bins' originating from WW2 they were basically metal dustbins placed here and there along the roads where residents could put potato peelings etc in. There was one placed at the bottom of our grove on Gregory Avenue in Weoley Castle, I clearly remember mom sending me down to the bottom of the grove with vegetable peelings wrapped in newspaper which were chucked in together with the paper.

When my mother took me into the city and the old market, I use to listen for the man shouting "Paper Carriers".
Brilliant! just one small correction. It was the old lady that stood at the bottom of the Market steps, that called out "Andy Carrier", "Andy Carrier". She was a fixture there throughout my childhood. Thanks for the memories though.

Brilliant! just one small correction. It was the old lady that stood at the bottom of the Market steps, that called out "Andy Carrier", "Andy Carrier". She was a fixture there throughout my childhood. Thanks for the memories though.
This is a photo of the Bag Lady who shouted "Andy Carrier"
bag lady 1935.JPG

Photo was was taken from a film made in 1935, surely this film must bring back many many memories

I'm sure that 'andy carrier lady was researched in depth a few years ago on a Bull Ring or Market Hall thread and we even had her name. Of course "Andy Carrier" has been mentioned so many times since then that it is probably buried fairly deeply now.

Maurice :cool:

I'm sure that 'andy carrier lady was researched in depth a few years ago on a Bull Ring or Market Hall thread and we even had her name. Of course "Andy Carrier" has been mentioned so many times since then that it is probably buried fairly deeply now.

Absolutely, I remember the discussion some years ago. At the time, I mentioned that my Grandad was Jack Hill, and was well known in the Rag Market. He used to hand grind/sharpen knives, using a grinding wheel on a bike.

A strange thing I remember from the 1950's were 'Pig bins' originating from WW2 they were basically metal dustbins placed here and there along the roads where residents could put potato peelings etc in. There was one placed at the bottom of our grove on Gregory Avenue in Weoley Castle, I clearly remember mom sending me down to the bottom of the grove with vegetable peelings wrapped in newspaper which were chucked in together with the paper.

2 pig bins in front of the walls advert where i used to live dated 1953

Nursery Road - Anglesley Street - Hockley - 5-11-1953.jpg

I remember the "Pig Bins", there were some at the top of Adams Hill, Bartley Green, where the old row of 18th C cottages were, on the left hand side just before you got to Jiggins Lane. I would take an old paper carrier with string handles up there full of bits my mom had saved, they stunk a bit . Paul

Brown paper carriers! Some shops - eg Boots the Chemists - have reintroduced brown paper carrier bags. Some food takeaway shops use a small version too. Much nicer than plastic. Boots the Chemists bag has the old style logo on it too. Viv.

Wasnt there 2 sisters who actually did it?

Back