• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ernest Malin

Janmal

proper brummie kid
Does anyone have any info on my husband's grandfather Ernest ? He was born round about 1880, fought in Greece in WW1, was invalided out and back home to Brum in 1916, only to die of Spanish flu in 1917. He is buried in a CWG in Yardley Cemetary. We know he married Emma Chalkley in 1902, and they had many children but don' t know his date or place of birth. On his marriage certificate his father is Charles Malin, gunworker, but we have no idea who his mother was.

There is a family tree on Ancestry with the following data
Marriage

21 Sep 1902 • Deritend, Aston, Warwickshire, England
St John the Baptist Church.
Ernest 22, bachelor, saddler, of 5 Ct Back 6 High St, to Annie Chalkley spinster of 60 Green St.
Father Charles, Mother Emma (Mann)

Who are the witnesses because a lot of the above doesn't seem to add up.

Apart from in 1911 'Ernest Malin' seems to appear on only one other census and that is in 1891.

In 1911 he is listed as being born in Birmingham 1877.

In 1891 he is listed as being born in Warwick in 1875. His mother is listed as being born in Stoke Poges in 1842 the husband of a William Jones.

There is no Ernest Malin listed as being born in Aston, Birmingham or Warwick between 1875 and 1880. However there is an Alfred Ernest listed as being born in Warwick in 1875.

In 1881 there is an Alfred E Malin born Warwick 1875 listed in Warwick with his widowed mother, a brother and a sister. She is listed as being born in Stoke Poges in 1841.

In 1871 there is an Emma Malin born Stoke 1838 listed in Upton Cum Chalvey with husband John Malin and 3 children from a previous marriage - Emma, Ann and Jemima Beck.

In 1861 there is an Emma Beck born Stoke 1837 listed in Harbury with husband James Beck and a daughter.

All children from both marriages have the mmn listed as Hines and in 1841 there is an Emma Hines b1836 listed in Stoke Poges.

Emma Hines marries James Beck 18 Feb 1859 in Leamington Priors and Emma Beck marries John Joseph Malin 2 May 1869 in Harbury.

It doesn't appear that Emma married William Jones because in 1901 she is listed in Lapworth as Malin with her daughter from her first marriage, Emma and son in law William Prior. And there's a possible death registered in 1906 as Malin.

A daughter from her second marriage Martha Louisa Malin marries in Aston in 1899 and is with here half sister Emma in 1911.

So if the witnesses tie in with any of the above this could be your 'Ernest Malin'

Last edited:
Ernest Malin aged 34
Annie (wife) aged 33
Annie aged 9
Doris aged 7
Ernest aged 5
Sidney aged 2 1/2
Leonard aged 9 months
Living 26 court 13 house, Cheapide in 1911
Marriage at St John's Deritend
Charles Malin listed as father and they were living in Deritend at the time. William Eccles and Ann Brown were witnesses and all signed the register.

Well, they don't seem to help.
thanks for the info. i am a bit of an idiot - Ernest married ANNIE Chalkley, not Emma (we did have an idea that his MOTHER was called Emma, but had no more info. Very little shown on census returns, etc on Ernest Malin and we have not been able to positively tie in our Ernest !

Hope I am doing this correctly as am new to all this and still finding my way round the website ! But many thanks for the help so far

The lack of the 1901 census is unfortunate, it could very well have helped but I can't spot him.

There is some evidence to suggest that he is the Alfred Ernest Malin born in Warwick but proving it appears to be difficult. Checking the witnesses for Martha's marriage could be somewhere to look but even if one was an Ernest there would be no guarantee he was yours.

And if he is Alfred Ernest born in Warwick why did he list his father as Charles and not John. It would be interesting to see who Martha put has her father. Didn't find a probable death for their supposed father (John Joseph) and Emma was listed as a widow in 1881 so it is possible that John died prior to his birth and he is an illegitimate son of a Charles. Complete speculation though.

The Ernest Malin and wife Annie in my previous post had their daughter, Annie Rose, baptised at Bordesley, Holy Trinity Church in 1902. This was quite a few months before the marriage. In both the census listing and the pics below his occupation involves saddles (cycle). Annie Chalkley is also listed in the cycle industry in 1901.
There is a death of Ernest Malin in September 1918.Volume: 6d Page: 301.
It may be worth your while ordering birth/death certificates to further your research?

1539882193770.png
1539883631520.png

We now know from DNA that Ernest's mother was Mary Ann Allerton from Stoke on Trent and his father was a Mr Darby. They did not marry. Mary Ann went on to marry William Kirby and have two daughters. We don't know how Ernest came to be a Malin
?? Adopted by the Charles Malin shown on his marriage certificate as being Ernest's father.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Interesting. How did the DNA come to that conclusion? Did you have DNA from relatives of Mary Ann Allerton to compare to your husband's?

It looks like Ernest was registered as Thomas Ernest Allerton.

I see that Mary's daughters were also adopted. And did she marry Walter Kirby rather than William?

My husband hasn't yet had his DNA done, but his sister and her daughter have. We were aware that Ernest was registered as Thomas Ernest Allerton. There is apparently a DNA link to a Thomas Darby, so it is likely a Thomas Darby was his father though not sure which one. We do have Mary married to Walter Kirby rather than William. It all needs further looking into - but at least we now know for sure who his mother was. My husband is going to get his DNA done - so let's hope more info will surface!!

Found a link to a Charles Malin.

On the 1891 census with Walter & Mary there is a Kate Malins. Her father was a Charles Malin, as was a brother.

And probably a coincidence but there is a John B Darby in Bham in 1901 listed as a saddler.

Very interesting! I did know about Kate Malina, but not about her father or brother. Will look further into this. Also interesting about John Darby. Not a common name, seems unlikely to be a coincidence. Thanks for your help.

Janmal, I have sent you a message. I am the grandson of Leonard, b.1910. Ernest has proven rather elusive in our efforts to trace his roots so it would be good to swap info.

Mom has Ernest's war records, he wasn't in Greece. He was sent to France mid-1916 (the Somme I believe), and was invalided out towards the end of that year following injury. Then, as you say, he died in 1918 from Influenza contracted during the epidemic.

Last edited:
Hi - silly me. Yes of course you are right about Ernest! The information about his mother, Mary Ann Allerton, I got via Dana, who is my husband Tony's sister's daughter. Sadly Dana's Mum, Josie, died October last year from CJD - very, very rare and incurable. Because of that and our joint interest in the family history we are in constant contact.

I was in touch with Dana some years ago but contact fizzled out. Could you PM me her email address?

Hi - Dana's email is [email protected]. Mine if it helps is [email protected]

hi although not a forum rule we do not advise posting private email addresses on open forum as you are leaving youself open to hackers..its always best to give out private contact info via our private message system...if you wish to remove the 2 email addresses from your post you can do so by editing it out

lyn

hi although not a forum rule we do not advise posting private email addresses on open forum as you are leaving youself open to hackers..its always best to give out private contact info via our private message system...if you wish to remove the 2 email addresses from your post you can do so by editing it out

lyn
You may want to delete them from your quoted reply :)

Back