• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ernest beauty salon

Justsmith

proper brummie kid
Does anyone remember Earnest beauty salon? My mum worked there late 50's for a short period of time and I wondered if anyone had any photographs please?

Are you able to add any more info? Even an area but perhaps a road might help. Thanks
Unfortunately not, my mum worked there late 50s after leaving school and I am trying to find out facts for a surprise 80th birthday powerpoint presentation for her next year.

Unfortunately not, my mum worked there late 50s after leaving school and I am trying to find out facts for a surprise 80th birthday powerpoint presentation for her next year.
One thing I do know is that lots of famous people went there to have their make up done and my mum had to go the Midland Hotel (presumably that is now called the Burlington Hotel) to dress cabinets in the hotel foyer with make up and perfume.

Attachments

• Midlands hotel now Burlington hotel.jpg
    Midlands hotel now Burlington hotel.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 6
hi justsmith just an idea...as this is meant to be a surprise for your mom could you not in a round about way just bring into a chat with her about where she worked and ask where the shop was..it may work..reading your last post it does sound like it could be the shop that janice found on post 4 at temple st which is still standing

lyn

hi justsmith just an idea...as this is meant to be a surprise for your mom could you not in a round about way just bring into a chat with her about where she worked and ask where the shop was..it may work..reading your last post it does sound like it could be the shop that janice found on post 4 at temple st which is still standing

lyn
I have been trying to talk to about her past (before I was born) but don't want her to guess what I am doing as I did a presentation when it was my dad's 80th a couple of years which she helped me with. Yes I agree it does sound like it could be the shop that Janice found.

also julie here is a 1950s map showing the shop at no 20..note that only 2 doors away is the well known trocadero pub..if we can find a long shot of the pub taken in the 50s it may with a lot of luck also show ernests shop...later on i will scour all of my photos

lyn

temple st map 1950.jpg

also julie here is a 1950s map showing the shop at no 20..note that only 2 doors away is the well known trocadero pub..if we can find a long shot of the pub taken in the 50s it may with a lot of luck also show ernests shop...later on i will scour all of my photos

lyn

View attachment 155032
Oh Wow, thank you so much. I really appreciate all the hard work and effort you are all taking. Thanks again Lyn. Julie

will do my best to find a photo of the shop julie and i am sure other members will see what they can find...i am always in favour of surprises..i have loads of just the pub but we need one showing a tad to the left of it...

lyn

Back