• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Eric's Paintng

cookie273uk

master brummie
normal_Worcecester_Cathedral_001.JPG
A fairly recent watercolour of Worcester Cathedral

Last edited:
Eric,
I've run out of surperlatives for your work. But my husband just looked over my shoulder and said 'brilliant'.
Ann

A fairly recent watercolour of Worcester Cathedral

Very nice.
Do you use white gouache, or let the paper become the white?
I love this Cathedral, Elgar was an organist there.
I love his music, especially the violin concerto.
Have you ever been to his cottage at Broadheath?
Wonderfully ordinary.
I used to spend summers on the Malvern Hills visiting our relatives.
Top of the world.
I think Cathedrals are particularly difficult to justice too
I remember seeing 6 paintings in a line, of of the front of Rheims Cathedral[?] painted at different times of the day, by Claude Monet.
At the Orangerie in Paris. Wonderful.
Wouldn't it be great to do a series, Salisbury, York, Exeter, Ely?
I've only managed one so far.

ladywood

Absolutely beautiful Eric as always. We had our leaving school service in this Cathedral.

Maggs

Ladywood, normally I don't use white, I leave the paper unpainted, for fine white lines I scratch them in with a craft knife, unfortunately I forgot about the 3 white bulbs on the lampost so had to use acrylic titanium white but its never as good as the white of the paper. Eric
PS for small white shapes against a dark background you can use masking fluid, rubbing it off when the paint is dry bringing back the white of the paper

Ladywood just realised you were referring to Worcester Cathedral and not St Phillips - no, theres no white used in this painting, its the white of the paper Eric

Eric, Lovely paintings. I especially like the St Philips painting because I used to walk past the Cathedral on my way to the Art Gallery during my lunch hour. I expect you already know about the stained glass windows in the Cathedral being designed by Burne-Jones (a Brummie) and manufactured by William Morris. A sight worth seeing - especially after my visit to the Eye Hospital for successful lazer treatment!!
Anthea:)

Back