• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Eric the Banjo player

K

KeithH

Local entertainer.

Anyone remember Eric the Banjo player? he was around Nechells for years. I remember him from my childhood days listening to him from the outdoor in the Turks head, as he played in the bar. Then as an 18+ year old, in the Kings Head, Howe St, where he used to play Sunday lunch to a packed bar with a man playing a beer tray with a coin.
Sadly no longer with us.

Eric Evans was his name, friend of my Dad, used to come to our house quite often, him on banjo , my uncle Frank on accordian, and someone on our piano, i was only a kid in the 1950s it seemed like every Saturday night was a party night, suppose it was due to pubs closing at 10 pm then.

Don't know if his name was Evans? but the Eric I refer to also used to come to our house, Chritmas times I remember for parties, I too was only very young in the 50's. We lived in the Flats opposite the Turks Head and I can remember him banging his foot on the floor as he played his banjo. The people underneath must have been going mad. I aslo remember sometimes there was someone with a trumpet.
I met this Eric again much later in life when I worked at the British Leyland plant at Washwood Heath, he worked nights loading the vans ao to the paint line.

:D Den did you know the name of the piano player? As both my Dad and his mate Jackie Brooks used to play in and around Nechells.

Back