• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Eric Stanley Bratt 1915 electoral roll look up.

W

Wendy

I am not sure if anyone can help I am trying to find out more about Eric Stanley Bratt. In 1918 he is married to Lillian Griffiths at St Mary's Handsworth. His address is Given as 43 Whitmore Road, Small Heath. This couple are a real mystery. I am sure this has come along to keep me focused at such a sad time.
Lillians address in 1918 is possibly 9 St Peters Road. The writing is hard to read. Any help would be great.

Wendy
In the 1919 supplementary electoral roll, Eric Stanley Bratt is listed as 286669, 3/A.M., R.A.F., address 9 St Peters Road, so I reckon you were right with that address. Doesn't seem to be listed in 1912. or 1920. Lilian Bratt doesn;t come up in 1920 either.

Mike you are such a star you always help me when I am really stuck. I have Eric Stanley Bratt in 1911 with his parents William Fredrick and Emilia in Llandudno aged 13. By chance my relative in Canada found the marriage record which is in Handsworth. I had no idea he was in the R.A.F. I have a photo of the family with his brother Harold in military uniform with stripes on his forearm.

Another interesting piece is on the marriage cert Lillian Griffiths father is George William Griffith deceased occupation pleasure boat proprietor....I wonder where?

Mike could I ask another favor could you look up 43 Whitmore Road, Small Heath around this time and tell me who is living there please.

Emily Lewis only in 1912.
Emily Lewis, Richard Hazleton Ross & Sidney Baines in 1920

Thanks Mike looks like a lodging type house. The names don't mean anything it was worth a shot. I am now wondering if Lillian was holding some sort of secret past. She is a real mystery. Many thanks for your help.

George William Griffith deceased occupation pleasure boat proprietor....I wonder where? Handsworth park had pleasure boats

I know John this one is a complete mystery. My distant cousin in Canada is trying to sort it as well, we share info and certificates ....maybe we will one day.. Oh I wonder if a trade directory would shed any light.

The only pleasure boat operators that seem to be listed 1900 -1913 are :
John Taylor, canal side Yardley wood, Kings heath
Walter Rawbone ,canal side Yardley wood, Kings heath
William Walker , canal side Yardley wood, Kings heath
Edward Monk, Reservoir cottage, Harborne lane , selly oak

Thanks for that Mike the problem I have is I have no idea where Lillian Griffiths was born. If she is telling the truth on her marriage cert she was born in 1891. The other problem is I also can't find when her father George William Griffiths died. I am wondering if Lillian may have been married before and told lies on the marriage.

Wendy perhaps she was being economical with the truth about her age.
There is the birth of a Lilian (one 'L') Griffith in 1886 in Llandudno, and there is a death of a Lilian Bratt born 1886 died 1957 Flintshire.
Note her name is also Griffith with no s when she married Eric.
In 1891 and 1901 Lilian is with her parents, her father George William Griffith being a Commission agent born Camden, London.
I do not have access to 1911 but I suppose George could have changed his occupation between 1901 and 1918 and Llandudno would be the place for pleasure boats.

Wow thats fantastic Alberta I think I was looking in the wrong place. I am sure this is the right person. I will check the census's for any more detail thank you so much.

I have a copy of a death cert for Eric which has thrown another spanner in the works. He died at 113 Mere Road Leicester in 1960 aged 63. The informant was h.a. Freer bro in law of 3 Lethbridge close Leics. Erics occupation is listed as engineers lister? I know Eric only had one sister who married and her surname was George. So this bro in law must have been from his wife's family....oh this is such fun!

Wendy, Estelle Bratt married name was Edwards she died as Estelle C Edwards in 1955
I have searched all names of Lilian sisters against Freer but found nothing .

Alberta thank you for that it was my next move. Sorry about Estelles surname I have had a stressful day and got it wrong. I now wonder if Eric married after Lillians death.....oh the plot thickens. Thanks againg for your help..x

Still struggling with Eric and Lillian I wonder Mike if you could tell me if they are at 9 St Peters Road after 1918. I have just had contact from someone on Ancestry to say Lllian was married before to a George Peters in 1910 in Bolton. This is getting silly now....lol

Wendy
It was the 1919 supplementary list I found him in. The next electoral roll online is 1920. the only people listed were George & Estelle Clarinda Edwards. In 1922 it was George & Elizabeth Bishop. As you seem to be interested in Estelle, i checked. she is not listed (as far as I can see- search system is a bit ropey at times ) in 1922, but 1925-1930 is with Norman Edwards (and others) at 37 Woodland Road. In 1935 norman & her are at 57 Woodland road (I checked, it wasn't a mistake for 37). 1939-50 the two are at 74 Island rd, and in 1955 only Norman
Mike

Bratt_family_Grave.jpg
Oh my goodness Mike thank you so much phew this is taking so many twists and turns. I now have two family members on the case. Estelle was Erics sister her death was in Llandudno she is buried with her parents at the church on the Great Orme. Her brother Harold is also mentioned but Eric is not so maybe there was a family split. Thanks again for all the wonderful information.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
The only pleasure boat operators that seem to be listed 1900 -1913 are :
John Taylor, canal side Yardley wood, Kings heath
Walter Rawbone ,canal side Yardley wood, Kings heath
William Walker , canal side Yardley wood, Kings heath
Edward Monk, Reservoir cottage, Harborne lane , selly oak

Is there any more info regarding Edward, Elsie or John Phillip Monk of Reservoir cottage, such as Burths deaths and marriages at the property also known as 245/247 Harborne Lane B29 6TG or a Court case in the 50's concerning the Resevoir being drained any info would be greatly appreciated Thank you

My mother & farther lived in the cottages on the harbourne lane on the canal side. As my dad worked for British water ways.
I heard stories from my brother & sister. Would love to see photos of were they once lived.
If any one can help. Thank you.

Back