• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington

Hello Green Genes. Nice to meet you. I'm not going to be of much help with the title of the book I'm afraid. Sorry. I took the photo from a book in Sutton Library and although I thought I'd written the title down, I can't seem to find it. I will continue to look for it though. It was a book purely of photos of Erdington and the last time I went to the library I couldn't find the book which was really frustrating. Many of the reference books have 'gone missing' but as soon as we're able to get into the building I will definitely look for it again.

Is it this building or the spiritualist church you are interested in?

Hello Green Genes. Nice to meet you. I'm not going to be of much help with the title of the book I'm afraid. Sorry. I took the photo from a book in Sutton Library and although I thought I'd written the title down, I can't seem to find it. I will continue to look for it though. It was a book purely of photos of Erdington and the last time I went to the library I couldn't find the book which was really frustrating. Many of the reference books have 'gone missing' but as soon as we're able to get into the building I will definitely look for it again.

Is it this building or the spiritualist church you are interested in?
Thanks Lady Penelope, that's really helpful. I'm itching to get back into the library, I have a long list of stuff to read up on!
My interest is a little weird, I am looking into Arthur John Leeson, who lived at Leaholme on Short Heath Road. He was a photographer friend of Benjamin Stone. He took the Parochial House photograph (the one most people were pointing to - not the one from the book). Just thought there might be some more of his images in it/there might be one of him in there. There are thousands of photographs in Central Library but they are predominantly glass slides and fragile. He's an interesting chap, was in on lots of organisations and worked as Secretary for the Council.

Staffordshire Advertiser, November 1933. If you want me to look for further references just say.

Thank you so much, I totally forgot to look at Staffordshire news articles, forgetting there lots more papers in those days.
You've given me loads more to look at!!!

Hi Again Green Genes, I think I've got confused (it happens a lot!) and I thought you meant the other picture. In your post #618 you mention Leaholme and I used to live just round the corner from there. I expect you have seen the picture in 'Images of England, Erdington, Volume II'. If not there is a lovely picture of Leaholme and also one of the garden with croquet on the lawn. Let me know if you haven't seen these and I'll scan them for you.

Hi Again Green Genes, I think I've got confused (it happens a lot!) and I thought you meant the other picture. In your post #618 you mention Leaholme and I used to live just round the corner from there. I expect you have seen the picture in 'Images of England, Erdington, Volume II'. If not there is a lovely picture of Leaholme and also one of the garden with croquet on the lawn. Let me know if you haven't seen these and I'll scan them for you.
Oh, I can't remember seeing it. Yes, I live very close to Leaholme, or the patch where it used to be, it's very interesting. The Erdington one that is, there are a few jotted around the West Midlands - seems the Leesons named several houses Leaholme!

Hi again, I've had a new printer and scanner so I'm afraid this is the best I can do at the moment. Hopefully somebody can improve it for you. They usually do - very nice people on this forum.

I understand that the man in the picture is a Mr Davis.

Leaholme 001.jpg

Hi again, I've had a new printer and scanner so I'm afraid this is the best I can do at the moment. Hopefully somebody can improve it for you. They usually do - very nice people on this forum.

I understand that the man in the picture is a Mr Davis.

View attachment 154080
Thanks Lady P, that's amazing! Really interesting to see the house in situ without the infill/Court Farm development surrounding it. It's hard to imagine the setting when you only know the site as a fenced off plot. That's really brilliant :)

This thread deals with Erdington High Street and the old Village Green. There are other specific threads with links below which may be of interest.

St Barnabas Church https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/st-barnabas-church-erdington.9445/page-17

Erdington Post Office on the Green https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...dington-post-office-on-the-green.44035/page-4

Erdington Picture House https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/erdington-picture-house.47214/page-2

Reservoir Road Erdington

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/reservoir-road-erdington.49127/

Station Road Erdington
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/station-road-erdington.34058/

Pype Hayes https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/pype-hayes.33062/

..........................................................................................................................

Erdington High street

Replacement image - may vary from original

View attachment 127493
Thoroughly enjoying looking at the old photos of Erdington. Both my parents were born there in 1911. My Mother in Wilton Road (she went to Aston Commercial School) and My father in Marsh Lane and I believe he went Osborne Rd. School. My grandmother (May Davies)used to take in washing from the police station at the corner of Wilton Road. I do have one lovely memory of my Nan singing "Oh for The Wings of a Dove" at the Women's Guild...all a long time ago!

On the Green with the Library (centre) and to the right the Birmingham City (?) and Midland Bank. Possibly 1910/20s. Still a bank (HSBC - or was) but the building’s been replaced with a non-descript modern design. Viv.

C9CA9DE2-8A48-4234-98CD-9AA9C2B99D1B.jpeg

Can’t get the comparable modern Google Streetview due to pedestrianisation. Viv.
F5A9154A-9835-4654-B130-ED98DA670A68.jpeg

Back