• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington

We went for a mooch round on Bank Holiday Monday and walked into Erdington to look at the developments along the Birmingham Road. This picture is, I think, where the Lyndhurst Pub used to stand. They've made a good job of the houses - they look very smart. The bungalows on the opposite side of the road are originals.

Attachments

• Wilmot Drive.jpg
    Wilmot Drive.jpg
    579.3 KB · Views: 32
We took a few pictures of 'Before they're gone' as the new development is in progress. Boards around the old Honeywell building are advertising apartments and no doubt the row of shops opposite the Abbey is about to go. Wonder how long the doctor's house will last? The first photo is the back of the doctor's house from the car park in Orphanage Road. Next up is an old building next to Honeywell in Edwards Road with a lifting beam. Then opposite the Abbey and a couple of shots of the workshops and old buildings at the back of aforementioned shops.

Attachments

• Doctors House.jpg
    Doctors House.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Lifting Beam.jpg
    Lifting Beam.jpg
    602.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Opposite the Abbey.jpg
    Opposite the Abbey.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Back of Shops.jpg
    Back of Shops.jpg
    730.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Workshops.jpg
    Workshops.jpg
    637.3 KB · Views: 38
Erdington High Street 1938. A part of the street was too narrow for double track so the oncoming tram waits for the other tram to leave the single track. It looks like the driver of the open top car could not wait. The Palace Cinema on the right is showing the 1937 film 'Stella Dallas' starring Barbara Stanwyck.
ErdHighSt1938.jpg
shoothill

Last edited:
oM, It would be interesting to see what was there in past times.
There used to be a sign for 'Welcome to the Royal Town' by the tram terminus but although this has been re-instated I think it's a bit like Aston Cross and has moved.
The sign apparently did not welcome us, they just let us know we were crossing the border into their Royal Town ....:D
SuttonSigns.jpg
shoothill

Last edited:
As post 871 has a date of 1938 it might well portray the last day (or days) that the trams ran along there. After 25th. September, 1938 they were diverted to Sutton New Road.

Paynes had many branches in Birmingham, the following thread gives a lot of detail.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/paynes-shoe-repairs.31424/
I haven't seen the photo here before - but who knows, there is a lot to see here, but it has a lot of interest. Ells's truck is, I believe, a Fordson with a West Bromwich registration.
Also notable is the Midland Red parcels collection sign.
Thank you for the Paynes link, it is very interesting. There is mention of Mere Green shop but was there one in the centre of Sutton?

this is such a long thread to go through but i dont think i have seen this one before...

high st erdington.jpg

I followed the link in Viv's earlier post and I'm so glad I did. It's a really good site and so informative. Loved the memories of Gravelly Hill and the electricity being installed. It also solved the mystery of why the Erdington Arms was known by the locals as 'The Muckman's'.

Last edited:
Now this is baffling. It's a print supposedly representing the stagecoach dashing through Erdington Green. Can't say I can see the resemblance. But the map is interesting in that it demonstrates how undeveloped the area was in the early 1800s. Viv.

IMG_0425.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0426.JPG
    IMG_0426.JPG
    352.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0427.JPG
    IMG_0427.JPG
    421.7 KB · Views: 28
Viv, I've followed your link from the Moor End Lane thread and I'm glad you put the whole print on the forum. I have a copy of this and came to the conclusion that the artist has used a little imagination in his drawing. However, I think the building on the left is the Swan as the stagecoaches started from there and there were similar trees in some photos I've seen. What the 'dog kennel' building in front is though I have no idea. What really puzzles me are the black and white things next to the supposed pub - are they lights? If so what are they hanging from? Very strange.

There wasn't a tollhouse by the pub was there? The dog kennel could be that, especially if it was not meant to be accurate. By the black & white things I take it you mean 13 objects clustered to the right of the hotel. I think they must be lights. If you expand that part you can see some of the supports, and it was a painting, so no need to include all at that resolution. Theyseem to be surrounding a raised syand, so presumably were at the raised alighting point for when the coach arrived in darkness.

map erdington early 1800s partA.jpg

Looking at the layout of the buildings in the view, I think the stage coaches could be travelling from west to east towards the London and Chester Road. The railings on the left could be around the Workhouse and maybe the hut houses a gate keeper.

My first picture is from The Story of Erdington Parish Church by May G Power. Probably the vicar's wife at some point as there was a Canon Power if I remember correctly. This is a photocopy of the original book now discarded by Sutton Reference Library.
The next picture shows the location of the shop. I remember the columns but I'm not sure if it was still a wine shop when I knew it.
The building that interests me too is the half-timbered one on the opposite side of the road. This is apparently the Old White Lion which dates back to at least the mid 18th Century according to Douglas V Jones in his Story of Erdington.

Attachments

• Williams Wine Importers.jpg
    Williams Wine Importers.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 47
  • scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 49
There wasn't a tollhouse by the pub was there? The dog kennel could be that, especially if it was not meant to be accurate. By the black & white things I take it you mean 13 objects clustered to the right of the hotel. I think they must be lights. If you expand that part you can see some of the supports, and it was a painting, so no need to include all at that resolution. Theyseem to be surrounding a raised syand, so presumably were at the raised alighting point for when the coach arrived in darkness.

View attachment 126464

Mike, I've joined the Erdington Historical Society and at the last meeting I met Paul Leslie Lines who apparently drew this picture. I asked him about the object and he said it was the tollgate. Still haven't worked it out though.

Back