• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington

Hi Onceabrummie.
I share your sentiments once a Brummie always a brummie, I moved away 10years ago to North Devon love Devon but still think a lot about what Birmingham gave me.
The house you were talking about was Hastilows The Removals people, I believe it was themother of Hastilows who sold the house and it was pulled down I think it was in the 1960's, in its place the Built a number of houses and called it Witton Cote.
Haven't been that way for over 20 years.
The girl I married lived just up the road in Abbeyfield Road
Regards Ray
I now live in North Devon, moved to Plymouth first of all and then came up here. Hastilows had removals and the coaches. The daughter used to go to the posh private school in Sutton (blue uniforms I think) but I cannot remember the name. Back to Brum again this weekend as one side of my family lived in the back to backs, Grosvenor Street and Ickneild Port Road, hoping to have a look at them this Saturday. I was delighted to see on my last visit that the Greyhound is still open in Court Lane. Although the shop by the side of it is still there, how many remember 'Davis's ' little shop at the end of the terrace of houses just beyond the pub and Aston Unity Cricket Club...spent many an afternoon down there
Onceabrummie

I now live in North Devon, moved to Plymouth first of all and then came up here. Hastilows had removals and the coaches. The daughter used to go to the posh private school in Sutton (blue uniforms I think) but I cannot remember the name. Back to Brum again this weekend as one side of my family lived in the back to backs, Grosvenor Street and Ickneild Port Road, hoping to have a look at them this Saturday. I was delighted to see on my last visit that the Greyhound is still open in Court Lane. Although the shop by the side of it is still there, how many remember 'Davis's ' little shop at the end of the terrace of houses just beyond the pub and Aston Unity Cricket Club...spent many an afternoon down there
Onceabrummie
Hi Oncebrummie

What part of North Devon we live Yelland

The shot is taken in Silver Birch Road, looking towards Orphanage Rd. Turn left for Chester road (with Josiah's head on the island - still with his father Xmas hat on!), turn right for Erdington.

Brian

A view of Silver Birch Road, Erdington looking towards Josiah Mason's Orphanage - the orphanage towers in view. Nice to see evidence of how the road got its name; a row of silver birch trees visible on the right. There are still some silver birches along the road today. Viv.

image.jpeg

Lovely photos Viv, when I was a kid 'posh people' lived in Silverbirch road. Road.
I don't think there was ever any bomb damage in the High street.
The places that suffered were around Goosemoor Lane, Jarvis Road and Court Lane.

Last edited:
We regularly have a page in the Parish Magazine entitled 'Churchyard Tales' and September's issue features bombing in Goosemoor Lane. I've enclosed a copy and wonder if anyone can explain how the 3 men died together. I noticed that Alberta mentioned Jarvis Road and although this wasn't cut until the 60's there was a steam laundry nearby (where Cookes is now) maybe the were working there or on the allotments. I've got an idea that Enstone Road was also bombed but not sure which end.
Just tried to upload a scan of the document without success so will try copying and pasting below.

CHURCHYARD TALES

The Churchyard has been in the history of this Parish for over 150 years, and has become the final resting place to generations.

Here is one of its stories......

GEORGE JAMES HARRIS BERT HARRIS ALFRED JOHN GOODWIN

Died by Enemy Action – April 10th 1941

On 9th and 10th April 1941 Birmingham was subjected to two heavy raids by the Nazi German Luftwaffe.

In the first of these raids on 9th April 235 bombers dropped 280 tonnes of explosives and 40,000 incendiaries, concentrating on Birmingham City Centre, inflicting heavy damage on the areas of Birmingham Bull Ring, High Street and Dale End, and the surrounding areas of Small Heath, Aston and Nechells. St Martins in the Bull Ring was damaged and The Prince of Wales Theatre and Midland Arcade destroyed.

The Air Raid on 10th April 1941 began at 10:08pm and particularly targeted Fort Dunlop and Castle Bromwich (site of Castle Bromwich Aerodrome where most of Britain’s Spitfire fleet were built). During this second night 245 bombers dropped 245 tonnes of explosives and 43,000 incendiaries, causing major damage, widespread across Smethwick, Winson Green, Handsworth, Gravelly Hill, Castle Bromwich, Sheldon, Birmingham Airport, Solihull Lodge.

As a result of the two raids there were 1,121 casualties, some fatal.

George, Bert and Alfred were all related and lived close together on Goosemoor Lane Erdington. It is likely they worked together (due to their varying ages) maybe as some of the thousands involved in War Work. However records show they died at Goosemoor Lane, likely as the result of the bombing and where it is recorded there were other fatalities that night.

George (born: 1879 – died aged 62) father of Bert and husband to Lillian lived at 52 Goosemoor Lane

Bert, (born: 1916 – died aged 25) son of George and Lillian lived with his wife Laura at 85 Goosemoor Lane

and

Alfred (born: 1907 – died aged 34) son in law to George and Lillian, lived with his wife Beatrice at 66 Goosemoor Lane.

George, Bert and Alfred are buried at the rear of the Churchyard in the central area.

Peter Knight

Thanks for reminding me oldMohawk, I had looked at the site before (very informative) but hadn't read the bit about the bombing as I was looking for something else at the time. It definitely looks as though they were all in their own homes at the time but I wonder where the rest of their families were?

Hi all, I'm new here and I did this search for Erdington to find this.
I was born in Gravelly Lane in 1959 and we moved to Tamworth in about 1962 then to Margate in 1968, (boo hoo), I haven't had the chance to go back to visit. My memories are a bit vague but I do remember 'The Village' a bit, we always called it 'The Village', but not well.
I'm going on my Mom's memories now, i really want to sit and talk to her and record her memories before they're lost forever. My Great Aunt worked as a jeweller for some years and after that at SU Carburetors. My Nan worked at 'The Fort' and also sang in some of the pubs around the area and also at the Hippodrome in Birmingham, light Opera and stuff like that. My Great Grandmother ran a pub in Lozells.
I've already got lots of snippets of info like this but I'm interested in my Brummie heritage.
You can take the boy out of Brum but you can't take the Brum out of the boy.
Although I lost my Brummie accent my Mom says it'll come back if I go back to Brum for a while. I'm proud to be a Working class Brummie.
Enough woffling.
I was born, as I said, in Gravelly Lane at number 306 and was sort of friends with 'The girl next door' even though I only saw her two or three times a month, it'd be nice to hear from her again.
I will probably be on again to ask questions and offer my snippets.

hello spyke and please keep on woffling..that is what the forum is for...our memories and finding out about our family history is very important to most of us..:)

lyn

Doidge Road - the buildings still very recognisable. Pity the picket fences have gone. Viv.

image.jpeg

Sorry Onceabrummie, I don't remember the house you mention although I should do because we used to go to the doctors who lived just before the spinney. Also we used to catch the 5a or 7 into Birmingham. Look forward to seeing the picture of Goosemoor Lane (or Goosegog Lane as we used to call it!) There was a very large house a little further down towards your house but I don't know if it's still there. Must go and look. I remember the tennis courts just before the doctor's house too.
Lady Penelope, At long last, I have found the picture it is not very good quality I am afraid, but the name is Chipman, Chimney Sweep and Drain Cleaner, on the back it says Goosemoor Lane. When I lived in Court Lane, the Chipmans had the field that is now covered in houses, opposite the college and bordering Chester Road and lived on the right hand side going up in some old houses which we all knew as the barracks. These were not the terrace immediately after the 1930s houses, but as you rounded the slight bend opposite the entrance to the College, went off down a small track. The field that lay beyond their houses they kept Donkeys, which at certain times of the year brayed all day and all night, in which I believe they used to run in Sutton park as Donkey rides, alongside the fairground. So where in Goosemoor Lane (yes that's right Goosegog Lane) was this house?

Attachments

• SKMBT_C284e16092910160.pdf
    430.9 KB · Views: 28
Have tried to improve the photo

Attachments

• chipman Goosemore laneA.jpg
    chipman Goosemore laneA.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 50
Back