• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington

Re: Erdington as we know it.

Thanks JennyAnn, was in a stand off with hubby, he was insisting that there was only Wilton Market and that the other one was the back of Wilton Market - now he has to admit he is wrong lol!
Will have a look at Keiths site later.
Sue

Brings back memories for me too,from the late 60's and 70's used to go into Erdington from Sutton with nan to the markets, especially the one diagonally opposite Woolies that used to sell material, nan and mom were keen seamstresses and knitters. Can remember Owen and Owen and had my first fob watch from Roberts jewellers in York Road (I think), lovely engraved one, still have it sadly doesn't work now, washed once too much!! And again in the late nineties and noughties, Micks nan lived in Stockland Green/Erdington and used to go to the "village" on the ring and ride, or with us if we were visiting, his mom and dad got married at St Barnabas too
Sue

I too remember Owen and Owen but it was called Taylors back in the 60's. I also had my first job in York Rd, right opposite you at an electrical store called Clearlight Electrical.

Great memories, I was brought up in Marsh Lane.
Went to Erdington Grammar and worked in Woolies on Saturdays, my Dad was beat bobby in the High street(Village) area.
When I was a child there used to be Wrestling matches in the Barnabas market.
Lovely to see the doctors surgery in the High street, remember Dr Houston and Dr Throne, my parents solicitor was in the house next door.

I too remember Owen and Owen but it was called Taylors back in the 60's. I also had my first job in York Rd, right opposite you at an electrical store called Clearlight Electrical.

I forgot about Taylors chocks.
The good old Palace picture house. Saturday matinees. Back seats in later years:redface:

Nice to see my pub, The Lad. I feel quite thirsty now:rolleyes:

I enjoyed seeing "The Lad in the Lane" again too.
Every so often we used to make the trek across the city to meet my grandad in there, (he lived in Birches Green Rd).
While the grown ups were inside we kids would be running riot outside. I used to love seeing my cousin, Tommy Pallett. I wonder what happened to him ?

I loved the Erdington markets and visited them often with my Mother when she lived in Sutton. My sister worked in Foxy Lady next to the undertaker opposite the church. There was a brilliant Red Cross charity shop as well...great memories.

There was a little cafe in the market, a counter and three or four stools, run by the same lady who was there for years.

I can recall her form the late 50’s to the late 70’s

Remember another caff, The Griddle Inn. On a corner just up from Taylors/Owen Owen. Spent many hours in there. Also spent many hours in the caff in Taylors - usually after school discussing boyfriends. Viv.

I seem to recall the "MilkBar", wasn't that opposite the Parish Church?.

My Dad used to take me swimming in Erdington baths on Thursday evenings to teach me to swim when I was little. We always stopped at the milk bar on the way back home for cheese on toast and a mug of Horlicks!

I remember the Pat who sold the socks. She was a friend of my mother and I think her name was Pat Faithorn

Hello janreb, I also remember Pat the sock. She was close to my sister in law, also a Pat, who sold the cooked meats. We were all good friends of Pats, she was a lovely lady.

Certainly not the Roebuck I remember either, but I'm sure it had a revamp at some stage so this could well be it in its newer form!

Vivienne14, if I remember correctly, they used to hold discos/dances up there and I'm sure I went to an engagement party and a wedding reception there- in fact, the more I look at the picture, the more convinced I am it is the upstairs room.

Back