• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Erdington

Erdington Laundry, Summer road Erdington. Destroyed by a fire on 2 March 1954

house_003.jpg

Great photo Froth. The drivers in their pristine white coats make a good advertisement for the laundry! Viv.

I had a Saturday at job Boots in the High Street near what was, I think, Tescos, almost opposite the Music Box (i.e Six Ways end of the High Street). This was in about the early 70s. But I've never seen any photos of that stretch of the High Street. Boots was a lovely place to work. I don't think I've ever worked for such a caring place since. That might, of course, have been down to the branch - it was quite a small branch - rather than Boots the company. We used to have 'porters' in those days who'd carry all your shelf refills for you from the upstairs stockroom down into the shop. Lovely group of lads, mostly part-time firemen. Used to go and spend all my hard earned money ( Boots' staff were relatively well paid in those days) at Chelsea Girl near Six Ways Erdington. And there'd be the 17.5% staff discount on all makeup etc too. Came in very handy. Oh happy days! Viv.

I had a Saturday at job Boots in the High Street near what was, I think, Tescos, almost opposite the Music Box (i.e Six Ways end of the High Street). This was in about the early 70s. But I've never seen any photos of that stretch of the High Street. Boots was a lovely place to work. I don't think I've ever worked for such a caring place since. That might, of course, have been down to the branch - it was quite a small branch - rather than Boots the company. We used to have 'porters' in those days who'd carry all your shelf refills for you from the upstairs stockroom down into the shop. Lovely group of lads, mostly part-time firemen. Used to go and spend all my hard earned money ( Boots' staff were relatively well paid in those days) at Chelsea Girl near Six Ways Erdington. And there'd be the 17.5% staff discount on all makeup etc too. Came in very handy. Oh happy days! Viv.

That's funny I put a post on here through my phone and I can't see it.
I worked for Boots about 14 years ago at their warehouse on Holly lane. I was made redundant when they closed the warehouse. It was a shame because we were one big happy family. As you said Boots were good company to work for. I still have my staff discount card though and it's 22.5% now.

I have great memories of working for them too Froth. Even to this day I remember clearly one of the essential jobs was to clean every glass display shelf with surgical spirit and cotton wool. Not a very rewarding job but we all just got on with it and had fun doing it. We had real pride in our little shop! I doubt that the shop's still there now. Viv.

img066.jpg

erdington High Street, this store opened in 1936 but was later replaced by a superstore by the same Society.

im looking for a pic of an electrical shop called civic that was on the high street...if anyone has one i would love to see it...

cheers

lyn

brill dek thank you...

froth when i go to save deks pics its coming up saltly high st...

lyn

I think you are right Lyn I,ve just noticed the tram lines and the cobbles on the road.Sorry about that never looked properly.Dek

Don't know when picture was taken , but civic was at no 126, and in 1952 was between Spink & Greenacre, ladies outfitters & Walter Smith, butchers

Lyn, on one of the old forum threads, from 2006, JennyAnn suggests looking on Flickr.com, with Erdington in the search box for pics of Erdington, may be one on there - there looks like there were other photos too, but hacked now :((
JennyAnn and Alberta and John Houghton were the main contributors.
You have probably already seen the thread though!!
Sue

I think Frothy's right. I have a pic of it on my computer but it's being "breathed on" and won't get it back untill tomorrow. If I find the photo I'll post it.

Yes I was wondering the same, I lived at the bottom ofJerrys Lane, near to the junction of Turfpitts Lane (now there an interestingname). The deeds show it was built by the owners of the large house at the junctionas speculative rented accommodation, then eventually sold off.

So any photos of this area would be very welcome.

Back