• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington

In 1953 where about was this old coaching house in Erdington High Street?

oaching_house_53.jpg

Frothy, I seem to remember this building was down the street not far from the Palace Cinema in the early l950's.

Chester road at the Junction of Boldmere road and Gravelly lane.Date?
I would like to see anyone stand in the road there today :)

chesterroad1920.jpg

Great pictures Froth I wish I could help with dating them will have a look in one of my books.

Frothy, I would say late l920's. It's hard to tell really. I walked up there many many times from Gravelly Lane to the Chester Road Island of the past
and waited for the No. 28 bus around the corner on Gravelly Lane opposite what used to be the Pavilion Cinema. Here's a Kevkonk clip of in the intersection taken in 2009 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzm41hs8pcs&feature=player_embedded What a difference. Probably a lot worse now

Great Thread and photos :)
Would anyone have any pictures or information about the Blacksmiths Forge that would have been somewhere in Erdington around the early 1900's please..I have seen "Smithy" marked on a map from about 1904, which appears to be on land at the back of the junction of High Street and New Street...could anyone confirm if it was the Forge please.

Chester road at the Junction of Boldmere road and Gravelly lane.Date?
I would like to see anyone stand in the road there today :)

chesterroad1920.jpg

Great stuff, this picture has just answered a years old question. People I knew in Erdington used to tell me this story about the gas lamp that ran off the sewer gas that was on this traffic island; apparently there was one on the island at the bottom of Station Road too.

I can remember both traffic islands but not the lamp posts.

It did not actually run on sewer gas, but the heat from the mantels would draw the air out of the sewers to prevent gas build up.

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2007/10/27/gas-lighting-in-london/

I use to love the old gas lamps in Birmingham, sad that they took them all away, they did look really nice. They were a focal point for kids to play. A part of growing up, watching the man come round to winding the clock up and change the mantels; riding his bike with one hand and a ladder on his shoulder.

I use to love the old gas lamps in Birmingham, sad that they took them all away, they did look really nice. They were a focal point for kids to play. A part of growing up, watching the man come round to winding the clock up and change the mantels; riding his bike with one hand and a ladder on his shoulder.

Is it just me who thinks that when you destroy old building and landmarks that have been around for years, you also destroy the memories that go with them.

There is still one Gas lamp post in Somerville Rd Sutton Coldfield, pic has been posted before

Woolworths High street Erdington 1950.
Never really missed the place when it closed. I much prefer B&M thats there now.

0389Erdington-1950.jpg

Last edited:
Mason road 1955.
You could stand in the same place today and see no difference. Only the gas lamp has gone.
And of course you can't see the roads for parked cars.
mason_road_1955.jpg

nice pics froth...am i right in thinking the cottage homes are no longer there..

Back