• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Erdington

When we lived on Tyburn Road in the early 50's my Dad took me to the baths and taught me to swim. I remember how pleased I was when I first swam a width without the rubber ring! Most nights after the swim we'd walk back along the High Street to a cafe almost opposite St Barnabus and he'd buy me a mug of Horlicks (still like it) and a round of cheese on toast. We'd continue to 6 ways and walk back down Bromford Lane past The Lad in The Lane (where my Grandad previously played for the football team based there) and back home.
Happy days :)

Re: Village Green

Here's the Village Green, Erdington c1930
HI WENDY thats a good picure of the green i was over there today in erdington its a lot different now. The shops are all there still and the market that was mentioned do you remember the carnivals they used to have i was on a carnival float in about 1956 i wander if you or anybody has any pictures of this time.

Hi Rosie although I didn't live in Erdington I was there often at the swimming baths, the library,the market and yes I do remember the carnival.

coopbill7, I lived in New Street and had a friend from the Cottage Homes who sometimes used to come to our house for tea. Trouble is I can't remember his name now...It wasn't you was it?

Hello
I went to Moor end lane sec mod school.1958 1959 i left to start work in Bakers displays in the High street Erdington just down the road from the national school .I worked in Mac fisheries next door to Currys.And then I worked in Halfords cycle shop
further down the high street towards six ways.See my post in advice I am looking for a school friend named John Wayne (not the actor).But would like to know if he is still around .We went to Moor end lane school.
Thanks

Wondering if anyone knows of a Frank and Hannah/Anna Burgess. I heard they possibly lived at 30 Neville Road Erdington about the 1930's.

Up until 1995 my sister in law ran a stall in Erdington market. She had the cooked meats counter and won many prizes for her clean and neatest stall. I believe she had lot's of loyal customer's. Her name was Pat and her friend was also Pat who sold the socks. Does anyone remember them?

Maggs.

I don't remember them but I porobably bought from them. My sister worked in a boutique in the High Street around the 80's called Foxy Lady. I used to visit her the do a bit of shopping. I loved the market the people were so friendly.

Yes it was a friendly market. I know my brother and sister in law made many friends there. I had left Brum a long time before, so only saw the market when I visited. Sorry that you don't remember them, but as you say you probably bought from them.

Hi jennyann, thanks for trying to get a photo. I've tried since my initial post with no luck.
You mention there are so many photos of Erdington High Street around. I'd be interested in any of High Street around Coton Lane as I used to work at Houghton's the Gents Outfitters when I first left School, which was situated oposite Owen Owen (Previously Taylors) and would love to see a picture of the old shop.

I've posted a request in the photo's section.
Thanks

i lived in the main high street between 1950 and 1957 my parents were Hall and my Dad worked at the cinema. The only name I can remember is Colin Clements who would be about the same age as me 59.

I had 3 great aunts and an uncle that lived in new street i used to visit them in the early 1950's I cannot recall the surname at the moment their christian names were Ada, Gerty,Emily, and Wal.

I used to liveabove a coop shop, a sweet shop backed on to our back yard and I remember playing with dummy boxes of chocolates

Some more photos of Erdington at the request of Paul Higgins. Most of these will be around the Tyburn Rd and Pype Hayes area.

I'll start off with three local pubs, and two more of the cafe on another thread but from a different angle.

Phil

PypeHayesChesterRdTheBagotArms.jpg
ErdingtonNavigationBromfordLane.jpg

ErdingtonKingsburyRdTheNorton-1.jpg
ErdingtonTyburnRdNrApolloCinema.jpg

ErdingtonApolloCinemaTyburnRd.jpg

Great pictures, Phil. especially the ones showing the old Apollo cinema that eventually made way for the Fine Fare (might have been Fayre?) supermarket.

Thanks for the Norton pic. took me some time to work out the Bagot. At first I thought it was Paget School, but instinct told me it wasn't.

Thanks again.

A few more, Pype Hayes Hall & Park, a couple of Fort Dunlop and one of Wheelwright Rd. I'll have a look for some more.

Derek

W, Grooms was in Ravenhurst St behind the Moseley Arms. He started up with ex army Bedford tippers just after the war. In the 50's and 60's he had quite a thriving business although he started out in rubbish removal he soon branched out into site clearance & demolition. A lot of my uncles worked for him and though the wages weren't very good it subsidised by having their own customers. All the drivers did it and Sid who ran the place knew all about it wasn't worried as long as they cleared their sheet for the day.

Phil

ErdingtonPypeHayesPark.jpg
ErdingtonTyburnRdFortDunlopx.jpg

ErdingtonTyburnRsFortDunlop.jpg
ErdingtonWheelwrightRd1964.jpg

Phil, once againg great pics. The one of the shops on Wheelwright Road makes me think that I might be having my hair cut in Lowes barbers, it's the last shop on the right. Also, when I was in my early teens I had a Saturday job at the Co-op butchers, just out of shot to the left.

Memories Memories. It was in front of that first papershop I fell off my bike and broke my arm, one cold wet and windy evening.I was about 9 or 10. I didn't tell me Mom till the next morning.

It hurt like hell.
I was too embarrassed to tell me mom I'd fell off me bike.
The bone was only broke half way. I had to wear a plaster for 6 weeks. The worst thing was, it was my left arm,I could still do my school work.

Yes, imagine suffering a broken arm all night. Well probably would have got a good hiding for falling off your bike in those days. What do you reckon Froth?

Loved the pics even though I was an Icknield St gal. It just makes me think of our England looking at those. I like how nice the curtains are done above the shops. These day's above shops look like Doss houses or worse.

Yes, imagine suffering a broken arm all night. Well probably would have got a good hiding for falling off your bike in those days. What do you reckon Froth?

Yer when I told her next morning, I thought she was going to break me other arm.

Well Froth that sounds about right. That's the sort of thing that would have happened to me.

I can clearly remember the old open top trams running along Erdington High Street - before the new route along Sutton road. The trams used to run from Six Ways through "The Village" before rejoining the "old route" at the top uf Station road.

very easily confused, as most districts associate that term with 'gay' marches nowadays
maybe an opportunity to revise and freshen up the word used???
thinking positively
the world is their oyster...to use a creative description
e.g. 'Unite For Erdington' [or something much better than that]

Looks like Phil's #61 post has lost its pics. Here's one of the shops on Wheelwright Rd by the junction with Tyburn Rd. Not sure if that's the one he posted.

trying to remember if 'Harvey's' the watchmender, was on that stretch...my dad used to go to him...not sure if he was in Aston too, or something

Back