• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Erdington

Perhaps a signaling expert can explain…”the train is passing the signal, where the Chester Road distant arm is also painted red, not yet yellow.”

In the index of the book the stations are given as Erdington and Chester Road. Opened 1862 and 1863.

Also associated text says picture taken at Erdington.

Pedro, the boundaries frequently change in this area and quite often around the early 1900's it appears as Erdington rather than Sutton as it is now. Here's a couple of pictures of Chester Road station for comparison taken around the same timeChester Road Station 1900's.jpgChester Road Station.jpg.

Pedro, the boundaries frequently change in this area and quite often around the early 1900's it appears as Erdington rather than Sutton as it is now. Here's a couple of pictures of Chester Road station for comparison taken around the same timeView attachment 175171View attachment 175172.

As far as the Stations are concerned they were built in 1862/3 and are referred to as Erdington Station and Chester Road Station. It seems that they have continued to be referred to as such through to the present day.

Taking the picture from the book it says looking in the direction of Sutton Coldfield. The ground to the right looks to be higher as it would for Station Road. This could lead up to Erdington Abbey, where on the map (not shown in the above) there are a number of trees. Around Chester Road Station the ground is flatter and even in 1915 shows a number of dwellings.

At this stage I would tend towards Station Road.

Pedro, I think the clincher is that the rail has no bend and there is a definite one at Chester Road also there's no footbridge which you can see in the far distance at Chester Road. The tall trees in the centre of the original photo would have been on what is now the Lyndhurst Estate but was then and estate of very large, private houses along Sutton Road. Definitely Erdington.

There is a thread for Goosemoor Lane, but it seems to have been locked for some time.

Anyway in 1895, according to the Medical Officer, it was the site for an offensive trade where blood drying and manure
making were being carried out.

In the same year a gale force wind, on Sunday 24 March, caused large damage to buildings. In Sutton Park 635 trees were destroyed, 555 torn up by the roots.

Last edited:
I am not aware of any reason why the Goosemoor Lane thread should remain closed and so I have unlocked it.

Chris

Back