• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Erdington

Looking at that picture i would say that just out of shot on the left hand side is Church Rd that runs down the side of St Barnabas. On the right hand side is the funeral directors, just behind you as you look at the picture. Further back is Wooly's and Barnabas Rd

Bren

Yes I think you are right Bren. My sister worked in a shop next to the funeral directors and if my memory serves me right it was next to the allyway where "Mothers" "Carlton" was. I remember a little indoor market down the road next to Woolies.

Woolies is on the corner of High St/Barnabas Rd, the "Old Market" is the other end of Barabas Rd on the other side, more or less on the corner with Sutton New Rd. The market is still there and running but i have not been in there for a few years.

Bren

It's surprising that the picture of Erdington High Street before Sutton new Road was opened isn't better known, because it was one of a set published by Birmingham Public Libraries about 30 years ago I think.
Sutton New Road was opened and through traffic diverted to it from Erdington High Street on 25 September 1938. But I would agree that the picture was probably taken about 1930 from the vehicles on the street.
Peter

Village Green

Here's the Village Green, Erdington c1930

Replacement image - may vary from original

EE59DA03-5497-4E58-BE53-9B1EDDC610C4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I never tire of looking at old photos of Erdington.
See the Night-watchman's shed and fire on the right of the Village green, You could have a good chat with them old fellows in the evening.
Poor blokes would be mugged these days!:|

Village Green, Erdington

Thanks for nice pic., Moma P.

Judging solely on the basis of one of the cars, I think the c.1930 date is a bit early. I don't believe the photograph can have been taken before 1938/39 and may even have been a little later.

Chris

View from the church tower Erdington 1900

Replacement image
2527FFF2-2D9B-43E2-8BFB-D87B6F44F5DD.jpeg

Wow! look at all that smoke,their surely must have been more carbon pumped into the atmosphere them days.

This thread on Erdington sent me to look at my books on Erdington. In the early l990's a friend of mine sent me a book called "The Story of Erdington" from Sleepy Hamlet to Thriving Suburb, written by Douglas V. Jones ( one of a few he wrote. The book was published by Westwood Press Publications, who were at that time situated on Boldmere Road in Sutton Coldfield. I used to call in to see what other books they had when I visited the area. I have a feeling that the book publishing end of the business was taken over by Brewin Books who publish Alton Douglas' books on Birmingham among others. I would imagine that the book is available in the Library.

The book has many old photographs of Erdington, a lot from the famous Sir John Benjamin Stone collection. Just a note about Benjamin Stone...he was born in Aston and some of his background can be found at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Benjamin_Stone There is some historical info on Erdington through to the present day at : https://gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=NEWS&template=wiki&text=Erdington I can remember a lot of the buildings that are now gone. The National School and other old buildings in the High Street, Jaffray Hospital,
Sir. Josiah Mason's Orphange at Wood End, the cotttages above the Village Green on Sutton Road, the big Farm House on Station Road at Osborne Road and also the Alms Houses on Station Road and probably a few others.
There were some amazing Edwardian homes both off and on Graveley Hill and also on Copeley Hill close to where Spaghetti Junction is now.

I started attending Erdington Parish Church at aged 8 along with my two brothers. My life revolved around the church and we had the freedom to roam over the whole of the area for years and years. When D.V. Jones started writing about the area there were no books available on Erdington written in this style. I have another book that I bought a couple of years ago called "Erdington" put together by Marian Baxter and Peter Drake, first published in l995. This book is crammed with black and white photographs of old Erdington. Once again many of them from the Benjamin Stone Collection and from the Birmingham Library collection. They have a Volume 2 out now which I haven't as yet seen. They have also written books on other Birmingham suburbs.

The bypass was built by R.M Douglas (Civil Engineers) Ltd. of George Road in l938. Robert Douglas had photos of the by-pass on his office walls when I worked there in l959. The photo of Coton Lane being cut in half by the bypass is very interesting, several families lost their homes when the bypass went through. Noticing also the Post Office building on Sutton road, built in l934 standing amidst all the construction for the new road. This book would be available in local libraries.

Many people don't know that there were three churches along Erdington High Street in the l940's. The Baptist Church at Six Ways, the Methodist
at Newman Road and High Street completewith tall spire. It was on two levels with a balcony going around the second level and St. Barnabas at High Street and Church Road.

One of my friends now living in Sutton used to live off the High Street in York Road and there is a photo of York Road and her house. The street is now all businesses, mainly Estate agents.

So many lovely buildings were demolished in an around Erdington over the years including the mansions that fronted Sutton Road above the Abbey that were demolished in the l950's to make way for the Lyndhurst Estate which is now being renovated and some of the three storey flats are being demolished. Those Victoria and Edwardian houses were really beautiful and I am glad I was old enough to remember them. They were large homes with lovely grounds and entrances to accommodate coaches at one time.

My father and his brother Frank used to walk over the brush land from Wyreley Road across Brookvale and up Hunton Hill and along Gravelly Hill
to get to Erdington High Street. My father told me it was a most lovely
village when he was young.

What a lovely account jennyanne I enjoyed reading it. I visited Erdington often when I was young and used the swimming baths as there wasn't an indoor one in Sutton.

I have Douglas V Jones's book on the Royal Town Of Sutton Coldfield which I often use as a reference book.

Jennyann ,I never knew there was a Methodist church in Newman Rd ,you learn something new on this site every day.

Like you and others I will always have fond memories of Erdington having spent my childhood there.
I had a Saturday job in Woolies and my exhusband worked in Wrensons grocery which I think was on the corner of Newman Rd,there was another on the Green.
My Dad was the 'beat bobby' around the High street,stationed at Wilton Road.

I went to 'the orphanage' which also taught day pupils.The building especially the assembly hall was very imposing.

I married at the Methodist church in Station Road 1961 but they knocked it down to build the new one so my sister married at the one in Gravelly Hill.

My sister still lives in Erdington,shopping 'up the village'.

Lovely memories indeed Alberta. I have a friend Margaret, who lives right next door to Osborne Road School in Wilton Road. M keeps me informed of "goings on" in Erdington High Street area in particular. I used to go to Pottery classes at Osborne Road School. I remember the old Methodist church in Station Road. My mother used to go to coffee mornings at the new model many years ago.
I believe that Barclays Bank bought the Methodist site in the High Street many years ago. They built a very modern bank but pulled out years later.

Fancy your hubby working out of Wilton Road Police Station. I remember going in their once decades ago because my friend and I saw a man in Erdington Parish Churchyard having some kind of fit and tearing up graves. The police believed us even though we were about 7 at the time. They came and took the man away.

Six ways.

Got this today,brought for £2.00 from eBay from a seller in Jersey!
Any guess on the date?

Replacement image - may vary from original.
DA05E508-9003-4558-AE49-6C94EFA7FE77.jpeg

Mrs. T. A very good deal for the postcard. Good for you. That's going back to early in the l900's I would think. That's the village my father and his brother Frank would walk over to from Witton when they were young and Dad always said it was a wonderful place.
You can see the spire of the Methodist Church on the right hand side at Newman Road and the High Street and, of course, the Six Ways Baptist Church right on Six Ways which was demolished in the early l960's.

On the left is the "Queen's Head" pub sign, with the name Sam Cole (the landlord?)

Crossed Path's

Hello Di,:) lots and lots of memories i had forgotten the El Toro and the Wikipedia write up is exciting to read wonder if we ever saw each other. All my haunts when younger WELL NEARLY ALL...:D:D:D.......:)Cat

Growing up in Erdington

My family was from Aston but my Parent's got a new house in Streetly Rd. just after the war finished. Houses were built in blocks of 4 and every fourth house was a Police house.
Our house (281) was directly opposite the back gate to Turfpits Lane primary school. My Sister and I attended Court Farm (previously Tedbury Crescent) School. I went on to King Edward's Aston and she went to Fentham Rd.
Saturday's we shopped in Erdington Village, my Mom liked to eat lunch at the cafe across the street from the Church and next door to the Carlton.
Same people owned the business for years.
My Mom was nuts about the movies, I collected postage stamps, so she made a point of ordering the Grace Kelly wedding stamps from the Book Shop across the street from Littlewoods.
I particularly enjoyed swimming at Erdington Baths, wonder if it's still there? Do you remember the sugar fish from the sweet stall in Erdington
Market?
We always went to the pictures, Palace, Picture House, Plaza, Pavillion, Star..................happy days.

I live in Florida now, what a difference.
Michael Young

Erdington bookstore

Bookstore I mentioned was the Midland Educational. Is the city center store still in business?

Hi Fliermike: The Midland Educational in Corporation Street has been gone for over 20 years. The building, however, is still there. It was a great store.

You might take a look at this site where you can find a whole file of
Erdington photos including the High Street, The Plaza, etc.
https://www.pbase.com/beppuu

Are there any updates on Erdington church that was destroyed by fire last year? Was the cause arson?

It is reckoned that the fire at St Barnabas' church was the result of arson by sick person or persons unknown. In the Sutton News of a week or so ago there was a picture of the church in its early stages of rebuilding. I should imagine that an appeal has been launched. It was never one of my personal favourite churches, being very, very dark and rather dismally Victorian, but nevertheless it was a place of worship and meant a very great deal to a lot of people.

Big Gee

There has been very little news since the fire at Erdington Parish(St. Barnabas). No arrests for the arson but someone may come forward with information at some point. Friends have told me that,as Big Gee says, the church is being rebuilt. You can visit the Erdington Team Ministeries web site and the Bell Ringing page which has some very sad photos of the burned hand bells and a photo of the refurbished clock on the tower.
I attended that church for many years and it will always be in my thoughts and that of many of my friends around the world who spent their childhoods attending.

What's left is even blacker than before the fire, of course. The stone that the original church was built of was very soft indeed and very expensive to clean.
The windows were excellent and you can see photos of them on the Team Ministry site also.Just one was saved. https://www.erdington-team-ministry.org.uk/stb/st_barnabas_bells.htm

Erdington St Barnabas Church.

Big Gee. jennyann. Thank you so much for your replies. I did not know Erdington too well, but when I went there last year shortly after the fire I was shocked to see the devastation of the church, i believe at the time that I heard that only the tower seemed to have remained untouched.

paget road

Hi the club your thinking about was the Carlton and it was on top of Cavendish's the furniture shop, many of the top groups of the 60's played there and the Tyburn House too, El Riot and the Rebels (Moody Blues) Carl Wayne & The Vikings (The move) to name just a couple. Anyone remember Mothers at the Queens Head 6 ways?
The prefabs bordered the whole of Pype Hayes Park from the main gate on Chester Rd down to opposite the Baggot and then down to the 66 terminus on Eachelhurst Rd. I went to Paget rd school 58 to 62 and had many happy times in Pype Hayes park sledding down the big hill in the snow and paddling in the brook at the bottom of the park warmley golf course end! I also worked at Woolies 62/63 my name at the time was Judy Hill, lived in Cleeve House Bromford Lane. Remember the playing fields between Spring Lane and Holly Lane there must be a 100 houses built on there now!
:)hello jude, my wife and her two sister,s went to paget road school,and the one sister inlaw lived on the top floor in cleeve house when she got married not sure of the years but i,ll find out.
they lived i bromford crescent just past the old grn man / lad in the lane,
the sister inlaw that lived in cleeve still lives there opp where they were brought up not such a small world,hows the greenwood? we if you remember lived on the corner in a flat :( up from you, before we moved to redditch.. regards dereklcg.:)

Yes, the Old Market is still in Barnabas Road down the side of Woolworths and I go there every few weeks as my other hobby is card making and there is a very good area at the back for crafts.

Going in there is like going back in time. Its hardly changed since the 60s and they always have old pop music on so then I sit in the cafe and listen with a cuppa while looking across to a bric a brac stall that always has lots of old things.

There used to be a Dolls' Hospital and we also bought budgie seed and millet there in the early 60s.

Brenda, do they still sell sweets? We used to buy our Troach drops from there
and my brother brought home a couple of chicks just before Easter one year. This was years before the Wilton Market was opened. Yes, it was a sad story later on:( I always pop in there when on a visit. They used to hold Wrestling matches in there in the late l950's.

Here is a link to some Erdington photos and the Barnabas Road market is featured. https://www.pbase.com/beppuu/erdington

Back