• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington

I live in Gravelly Hill, holden close and was wondering were there houses on this site in 1940? as I am writing a book :)
A 1945 image from Google Earth on which I've marked Hillaries Rd, Gravelly Hill and the Oval. The area where today's Holden Close is looks open with few houses or possibly no houses. An old 1920s/1930s map would give more definite information.
Hillaries Road.JPG

The map dated 1955-63 does not show it

map_c1855-63_showing_holden_close_erdington.jpg

The Committee of the Erdington Early Morning School. Don't know where this was taken but quite possibly is at a school. I presume early morning schools were for those adults who worked but were illiterate and wanted to learn to read and write. Viv.

View attachment 99320

Last edited:
Three lovely photos of Erdington (found on eBay, sorry no dates but look about 1920s/30s). The second two of High Street give a real sense of a village. The first of Station Road is still very recognisable. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 106
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
​Seen this in Erdington today 24th Nov

Attachments

• 24th November 2015 Tuesday 0001.jpg
    24th November 2015 Tuesday 0001.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 50
  • 24th November 2015 Tuesday 0004.jpg
    24th November 2015 Tuesday 0004.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 67
Noting the black ribbon at the front, was it part of a funeral procession?

A lot of bus enthusiasts ask that a bus is present at their funerals or in many cases the families think it appropriate to have a vintage bus there so my guess is that is whats happening here. The bus is a lovely Guy Arab III that is carrying two different registrations.

Had this sent to me ...

Attachments

• erdington roller rink.jpg
    erdington roller rink.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 67
Erdington Roller Rink outside. It was where the fire station is now

Attachments

• 24448244959_b7e060614d_z (1).jpg
    24448244959_b7e060614d_z (1).jpg
    49 KB · Views: 49
Strange question - does anyone remember the curtains at the Pavillion Picture House, later a bowling alley, Erdington / Wylde Green border? I was talking about it this afternoon to a long standing friend of mine. I can remember the foyer and the lounge but my friend was telling me about the curtains. They had knights on, one on the left and one on the right and as the curtains were closed they met in the middle. This is quite possible as the cinema had 'battlements'. I went there several times - I could see it on the horizon from our pre-fab window. I just can't recall the curtains.

Not sure - should this be in 'Cinemas' rather than Erdington? If so, could you move it for me please?

Yes there were knights on them who met in the middle when closed. That was a long time ago. Did you also sneak in through the door by the scree after the friend who had paid came down and opened them?
onceabrummie

A thatched cottage at the junction of Church Rd and Fern Rd. No longer there having been replaced by a more modern building. But the houses which start to the left of the cottage on Station Rd are still there. Viv.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
The old Roebuck Inn on Erdington High Street. There's a cluster of boys around the lamp post. Would these boys have been from the orphanage? Viv.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
The old Roebuck Inn on Erdington High Street. There's a cluster of boys around the lamp post. Would these boys have been from the orphanage? Viv.

Viv

I was looking at this photo on another thread recently and I think it was posted by Frothblower and he commented that he thought the lads outside the pub would have been from the school next door to the pub. He would know more about it being a local, myself I'm only going by what I read as I know very little about Erdington.

Thanks Phil. That's probably the answer. Seemed odd to me that a group like that dressed in the those 'uniform' clothes would be hanging around outside the pub. If the school next door had a dress code or uniform I expect that'll be it. But if not, it could be the nearby orphanage. Viv.

Some old cottages on Erdington High Street. Sorry, no idea where these were. Photo from the Shoothill site. Viv.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
I noticed we have three threads with the "Erdington" title. They looked like they should all be together as they generally cover mostly central Erdington in and around the High Street, so I've merged them. Makes an interesting thread about the area. There are a few missing images, so if anyone can replace these please let me know. Thanks. Viv.

Last edited:
Back