• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington

The Manor House of Pype also known as Pype Orchard and Wood End House, was built about 1600 and later became the home of the Holden family. The house was demolished about 1932. With thanks to Warwickshire Photographic Survey project.

Birmingham places 019.jpg

Re: Erdington Photos

Three early photos of Terrys Lane which I am reliably informed was later renamed Eachelhurst Rd. The photos were all taken from roughly the same spot show a large house in the background. I'm assuming that this large house was The Woodlands which was near to the junction of Woodlands Farm Rd, unless of course anyone knows better.

Attachments

• Erdington Terry Lane 1.jpg
    Erdington Terry Lane 1.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 50
  • s Lane.JPG
    s Lane.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 51
  • terrys lane.JPG
    terrys lane.JPG
    270 KB · Views: 51
6 ways Erdington.
I remember the old shops on the left, they were much better then the building there now and I usually like modern buildings.
six.JPG

I have the photo's of Terry's Lane Phil, in a book called Erdington Past and Present published by Birmingham Libraries. They were taken by Sir Benjamin Stone in about 1890.

Old cottages on the corner of Court Lane and Shortheath Road, Erdington. Demolished in 1904. With thanks to Warwickshire Photographic Surrvey.

Erdington Birmingham 001p.jpg

Barratts grocery shop at 252 High Street, Erdington. Lovely stack of bacon in the window. That's proper bacon! Think it would have been one of these shops on the modern view. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Erdington Open Market in 1929, has anyone got an idea where it was located and when did it close down?

Attachments

• Erdington Market 1929 .jpg
    Erdington Market 1929 .jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 69
It was opposite where it is now in Barnabas road, where the Charlie Hall pub is now. Don't know when it closed.

Re: Erdington Photos

There used to be a large house on the corner where Hanson's Bridge Road meets Eachelhurst Road. It must have been demolished in the Sixties. I can just remember it, I think there are some flats there now.
By the way, am I the only person that calls it THE Eachelhurst Road? My wife said why don't I just call it Eachelhurst Road and drop the THE.

Will take a look next week hansonbridge when we take our dog back to the vets. Jean.

Hi Jean, thank's for replying to my note. I don't think there is anything left of the old house. As you look up Hanson's Bridge it was on the rigt hand corner. I think it was converted to flats when I lived there in the 60's and was later demolised altogether. A run down delapidated house and rather spooky to a young lad. I hope your dog gets well, mine is sitting under my chair.

A view of a procession in Station Road. Think the photographer must have taken the photo from the railway bridge. Most of the buildings are surprisingly still there. Viv.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 49
Thanks Terry. Yes they do look like the same procession. The participants seem to be arranged into groups. Your photo seems to be ladies and children. The men in the photo I posted seem to be wearing sashes. Viv.

The procession in post 277 is probably the one from Six Ways to Erdington Abbey Procession to Erdington Abbey July 1914.JPGreported in the Birmingham Daily Mail on 27 July 1914

Yes, many thanks Brasscaster. I think the procession in July 1914 must have been especially poignant given the impending onset of WW1. In fact I expect many of those in the two photos would have, in a matter of months, gone off to war in the trenches. Viv.

Last edited:
Go onto Ancestry and look at the census or electoral rolls and you will be able to see how far the houses go back.

Back