• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington WW1 Roll of Honour

GlynB

I have recently researched as many of the Erdington casualties of WW1, and produced a website to commemorate them

www.erdingtonww1.co.uk

The list started with the 136 named on the (now lost) Roll of Honour in St Barnabas Church, but soon expanded as other names emerged who had not been listed there. The website currently covers 374 men with Erdington connections.

I'd be delighted to receive any feedback and if anyone has additional information that can be added, please let me know. Similarly, if I can assist with anything in this area, please drop me a note

Erdington - Cover.jpg

Thanks

Very impressive work Glyn.

I have a neighbour here in the Forest of Dean who was asking only yesterday if I knew how he could trace any living relations of a WW1 soldier, a member of his family who died in France early in the war and whose history and medals he is in possession of.

The man had a wife but no children but my neighbour would like to return the items he has to any family he can find.

Have you any idea where he could start?

The family appears to be mostly in the Gloucestershire area.

Eric,

Just butting in, this is a fairly standard genealogical problem and the level of difficulty will depend upon the rarity or otherwise of the man's surname and forename(s). The problem with most war memorials is that they frequently only state the first forename and surname. Start with a search here https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/ and if you're lucky, you'll get some pretty basic information and possibly the name and address of his next of kin. Next try and find him on the 1911 and previous censuses, and this his should bring up any siblings and work from there. If the deceased man did not have any siblings, you will need to go back a generation and look for siblings of his father or mother.

Happy to have a go for you, but we will need full name, year of birth & town of birth & any other information such as regiment is always a bonus. If it turns out to be a John Smith, it may possibly not be accomplished without the purchase of one or more certificates to be certain that you have the right line.

Glyn,

Welcome to the Forum. Good work! I've just done potted histories of the 8 men and 1 female nurse that are recorded by the IWM as have been named on the lost memorial of the first Punshon Memorial Methodist Church in Bournemouth. The first church was bombed & demolished in WW2 and its replacement on another site was recently demolished by a developer to build a large block of flats. As part of the 2014 Millenium it was found that 500 names were missing from the Bournemouth Book of Remembrance and there may well be more. It's an ongoing task, in which I am not involved, and yours will undoubtedly be the same. Good luck with your research.

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks Janice - I had seen that, but as my research has a wider coverage, I thought it better to start a new thread

Back