• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Erdington Tramway Terminus

Spargone's map on post #29 shows the tram terminus in the roadway, just short of the Birmingham / Sutton boundary (which also defines the location of the later extention to Florence Road. Also shown is a 'Waiting room', provided for intending passengers - which is still there, having been unused for decades is now a barbers shop.

Attachments

• Erdington tram terminus waiting room .jpg
    Erdington tram terminus waiting room .jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Erdington tram terminus waiting room now .jpg
    Erdington tram terminus waiting room now .jpg
    190 KB · Views: 11
Birmingham Daily Mail, October 1905…where are the Erdington trams ?

View attachment 163810

If my information is correct this flyer, which appears in Erdington Vol II by Peter Drake and Marian Baxter, was printed in 1900. This might explain the delay experienced by the writer of the letter in Pedro's cutting.

I have looked through all the relevant trades directories that I could find (although the originals are missing, one of the members of the research group at the library had photographed them all). I found that the shops were in existence at Broadfields Parade from the 1925/26 edition so it would have been at least a year earlier when the area was surveyed. I am presuming that the new tram terminus was incorporated into the scheme at the same time, so before 1924.
001.jpg

Back