• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington Tramway Terminus

Does anyone know when the access road for the tram terminus was built please? You can see it on the third of Viv's pictures on post #14. Until this time the tram stopped in the middle of the road at the county boundary.

First Tram to Chester Road.jpg

It looks like there was a proposal for a few years before 1905 to extend the tramway from the bottom of Gravelly Hill
to a point just beyond Chester Road on the main road to Sutton, and which was the boundary of Erdington and
Wylde Green. The work began in 1905.

From Viv's picture it looks like the first tram ran on 1 March, 1907. So it would seem that trams did not run to that
point until 1907.

(This being electric trams !)

In 1938 trams on route 2 were diverted from High Street to a new reserved track, which was the last to be built in Birmingham at the time. The new terminus, at a side reservation, was the boundary with the city and Sutton Coldfield.

Thank you all for your input.

Alan, was the 'reserved track' the one that ran along New Sutton Road?

And, just to get it clear in my mind, the new terminus 'at the side reservation' is the one between Broadfields Road (Erdington) and Florence Road (Sutton)? It ran in front of the shops which are still there now, opposite the Co-op. To be honest I thought it was built a long time before 1938 so I was completely wrong. I suppose the increase in traffic made it impractical to have to the terminus in the middle of the main road.

Another view of the terminus ...
It was the tram terminus ... and heres a quick 'Then & Now' ... :)
It's 1931 and a tram approaches the terminus on Sutton Road. Broadfields Road on the right, and the Yenton Hotel over the road.
index.php

Today the Yenton is still there.
index.php

the pics are forum links so only visible if logged in

Spargone's map on post #29 shows the tram terminus in the roadway, just short of the Birmingham / Sutton boundary (which also defines the location of the later extention to Florence Road. Also shown is a 'Waiting room', provided for intending passengers - which is still there, having been unused for decades is now a barbers shop.

Attachments

• Erdington tram terminus waiting room .jpg
    Erdington tram terminus waiting room .jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Erdington tram terminus waiting room now .jpg
    Erdington tram terminus waiting room now .jpg
    190 KB · Views: 10
Birmingham Daily Mail, October 1905…where are the Erdington trams ?

View attachment 163810

If my information is correct this flyer, which appears in Erdington Vol II by Peter Drake and Marian Baxter, was printed in 1900. This might explain the delay experienced by the writer of the letter in Pedro's cutting.

I have looked through all the relevant trades directories that I could find (although the originals are missing, one of the members of the research group at the library had photographed them all). I found that the shops were in existence at Broadfields Parade from the 1925/26 edition so it would have been at least a year earlier when the area was surveyed. I am presuming that the new tram terminus was incorporated into the scheme at the same time, so before 1924.
001.jpg

Back