• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Erdington Roller rink

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
I have lived in Erdington all my life but I didn't know about this place.
Anyone got any information about the place like when it was built, knocked down etc?

Last edited:
I lived in Cleeve House Bromford lane and my Grandad lived in Erdington from his 20's as did my Mom & Aunts, I have never heard of this rink and I used to be a rather good roller skater in my time. My Mom told me many stories of different picture houses and so on but she never mentioned a roller rink!
I'll call my sister who now lives nr Weston-s-Mare tomorrow to see if she's heard of it.???

Nice one Jude you'll find out for me.
Cleeve house I remember the place being built, must have been one of the first flats in Birmingham.
I still haven't visited your hostelry yet, maybe today:cool:

roller rink

I can find no mention of the roller rink in a selection of our Kelly's 1900 to 1936

Hi Frothy,Ive just spoken to my Sister who used to live with my Mom and her Dad in Bromford lane alongside our Granddad and she has never heard of it either, she said she used to go to Stratford Rd to Roller skate and our Mom never mentioned it either. So I cant help you I'm afraid. try Carl Chinn.
If you have lived in Erdington all your life I bet you'd have known my Grandad. He lived in the house on Bromford Lane, next to the shops on the Crn of Erdington Hall rd. His name was Fredrick Hopkins, he was a pot man at the Navi and The Green Man too and also laid the bowling green at The Lad/Green Man.
He also raced and bred pigeons and was one of the top fanciers in the Midlands.
He died in 1962 aged72.

Try this although I can't spot anything pehaps someone can:Aah:

Frothblower the inside of the Erdington Rink is dated November 1909 on a postcard I have

I have two photos of the Erdington Roller Rink which are in the "Story of Erdington" book published by Westwood Press Publications of Boldmere.
I will get my husband to scan them for me and I will post them. The roller rink was very large and it was situated in Orphanage Road. I don'tas yet have a date for the building of this rink. The photos look like the l920's to me.

Just seen Cromwell's post and had another look and yes it could be a decade earlier than the l920's.

Thanks everyone Thats got you all thinking ain't it.
1909 that early, no wonder no one can remember it Crommie
Jude, our lives are running parallel, I didn't know your Granddad but Hopkins rings a bell and guess what I was born in Erdington Hall Road between Allenne road and Croydon road, oh and the Lad ( Green Man) is my local

roller rink

Orphange road only came to being between 1901 and 1903 did not have many houses or business's in the early 1900's no mention as I said about the rink

Hi John:

The photograph of the Roller Rink must be mislabelled as the title reads
"Erdington Roller Skating Rink, Orphanage Road." As I can't date the photo
for sure and I know Orphanage Road was called Bell Lane originally I will have to do some more digging.

I've got both those pictures and on my copy it just says Erdington and they are both dated 1909.

Attachments

• Erdington Roller Rink.jpg
    Erdington Roller Rink.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Erdington Roller Rink Interior.JPG
    Erdington Roller Rink Interior.JPG
    206.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:
Erdington Library came through with the following information about the Erdington Roller Rink after I e-mailed them late yesterday asking if they had any information on the rink. I received this e-mail today:

Hi Jennifer
Thanks for your message. At the library we have 2 photos of the rink but I
suspect that they are the same ones that you have already seen.Just to
confirm that the rink was on the corner of Orphanage and Edwards road where the Fire station now stands. Mike Beard, the Secretary of Erdington Local History Society, may be able to help with details of the rink. His
telephone number is 0121 373 2953. I know that the rink doubled as a cinemafor part of it's life and it was eventually destroyed by fire. It is also
mentioned in a more recent book 'Played in Birmingham' by Steve Beauchampe,isbn 09547444519 published by English Heritage.2006 £12.99.

The author came recently and gave a talk to the Erdington Historical Society and he mentioned the rink. Our copy of the book is out at the moment but there arecopies available in other libraries.
Hope that this helps.

Best wishes.
Jill (Community Librarian)

Very nice. I will drop Jill a line thankiong her.

Well done Jennyann:great:
I thought it might have been on the car park over the road from the Fire station.
Thanks again

I was thinking Erdington swimming baths when I first saw it cause I didnt see the orphanage rd bit on it at first ha ha.

I lived in Cleeve House Bromford lane and my Grandad lived in Erdington from his 20's as did my Mom & Aunts, I have never heard of this rink and I used to be a rather good roller skater in my time. My Mom told me many stories of different picture houses and so on but she never mentioned a roller rink!
I'll call my sister who now lives nr Weston-s-Mare tomorrow to see if she's heard of it.???

Hey Jude....(I feel a song coming on)...we lived in the maisonettes next to Cleeve House from about 1958/9 for about 2 years

Back