• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington postmen heroes remembered

great photo"s lyn wilf is very pleased with his photo.keep up the good work.x

kenny it was an honour to help with the plaque and i am sure that all of birmingham history forums members agree..but if it was not for you saving it none of this would have happened...so pleased wilf likes his photo please give him my regards he is a lovely man...x

Last edited:
Might be worth getting it listed on the PO archive site Lyn (if you haven't already got them on your list!). Viv.

https://catalogue.postalheritage.org.uk/dserve/bpmadocs/memorials.htm
Hi Vivienne just had a look at the listing of War Memorials on the Postal Heritage website. In the mid to late 1990s all Delivery Offices and Crown Post Offices in the U.K.
, were asked to provided photographic evidence of any War Memorial on their premises.

The photograph of the wooden plaque listed as being located at Erdington Delivery Office was taken by me, perched on top of a step ladder, with my autoflash covered with a bit of tissue paper to soften the glare from the flash.

yes viv ive got the post office on my list of people to bombard i really cant let this rest i feel very strongly about it...all it needs is a little clean up...2 bolts...an appropriate place to reinstate and above all someone who cares enough about these men to step up to the mark and do something about it..

lyn
View attachment 91101hi folks...to cut a long story short..an aquaintance of mine ken stowe who was working on the JCB s in 1970/71 was ordered to a demolished building on monument road ladywood and told to shovel up all the rubble and dispose of it..he spotted a lovely marble tablet dedicated to 7 local postmen who gave their lives for this country..feeling that it was not right to do this he kept the tablet and its been with him for over 40 years..he didnt really know just what to do with it but knew it had to be kept safe...as you know this year will be 100 years since the outbreak of the great war and im sure you will all agree that now is the time for it to be placed once again on an appropriate building somewhere in the ladywood area..these men must not be forgotton and its so sad to think that they nearly were...i am now contacting people who maybe able to help me get the tablet put back where it rightfully belongs so that these men will never be forgotton again..if any of our members are related to these men or can offer me any help or advise please feel free to contact me..

lyn

Hi Lyn, thanks for the link to this thread. Reading the first post above made me start thinking.......dangerous I know! But do you know which end of Monument Rd where the Memorial Plaque was found? If it was close to the junction with Hadley Rd, then there is all probability the plaque had somehow found its way to the GPO Training School located close by and demolished in the early 70s as part of Local Development Schemes.

The above will not take us any closer to where Erdington PDO was located, in 1922, but could solve the mystery of where it was found.

hi david...great to see the plaque being talked about again especially as you are an ex manager of erdington post office...dont think their is any doubt that the plaque was originally erected at a post office in erdington especially when this invite received by charles bulls widow and children states so but i think you may have something there as to why it was found by kenny in ladywood...i can double check with him or he may even post something himself but from what i was told he found did find it on monument road close to the hagley road junction...i think on the right hand side of the road going towards hagley road...do you know which side of the road the training school was ??

lyn

Invitation%20to%20Unveiling%20of%20Erdington%20Post%20Office%20War%20Memorial.jpg

Last edited:
hi david...great to see the plaque being talked about again especially as you are an ex manager of erdington post office...dont think their is any doubt that the plaque was originally erected at a post office in erdington especially when this invite received by charles bulls widow and children states so but i think you may have something there as to why it was found by kenny in ladywood...i can double check with him or he may even post something himself but from what i was told he found did find it on monument road close to the hagley road junction...i think on the right hand side of the road going towards hagley road...do you know which side of the road the training school was ??

lyn

View attachment 110034
Hi Lyn yes the Postal Training School was in Parker St. That is the last side road on the right as one would approach Hanley Rd. I hope that narrows it down a bit.

David

david looking a street view i think parker st is too near to hagley road...i am sure ken said it was further down from there and actually on monument road..will try and find out from him...just one thing was the training office actually in parker st or was it on the corner of parker st and monument road..

lyn

david looking a street view i think parker st is too near to hagley road...i am sure ken said it was further down from there and actually on monument road..will try and find out from him...just one thing was the training office actually in parker st or was it on the corner of parker st and monument road..

lyn
Hi Lyn just had another look at a map of Birmingham circ 1951. The Postal Training School was in Bellis St off Reservoir Rd. Sorry got confused with redevelopment and realignment of streets.

yes david i guessed that..kenny has confirmed he found the plaque around the bellis st area so i think its safe to say that the plaque was most likely taken to the postal training school after the post office in erdington that it was originally on was demolished and because of the drill holes in the front of the plaque it was most likely put in place at the training school...the back of the plaque has very old looking fittings from when it was first put up..i did take photos of the back of the plaque when i had it in my front room for a couple of weeks..will try and find them..

lyn

Never believed we would work out why it ended up there, but we did with exwag's help

yes mike i too thought it would remain a mystery for ever...so pleased that david came up with the answer..as to just why the plaque was left to be gathered up with the rest of the demolision rubble we will never know but the main thing is it was saved and it ended up in a fitting place..so alls well that ends well:):)

lyn

hi dave lovely photos and for those of you who may not know the last 2 are of ken stowe who found the postal plaque over 40 years ago on a pile of rubble and kept it safe until he asked for our help in getting it re dedicated and placed at the NMA...smashing to see you today dave...i thought the buffet and entertainment was really good and it seems to me that we get more attending every year...thanks dave:D

lyn

good thinking viv...i would like to think it has already been added but will try and find out...looking back on this thread again it was quite a journey:)

lyn

Back