• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington postmen heroes remembered

Hi Happy Guy;
The Hall Of Memory Was Built to COmmemorate the 12, 320 BIRMINHAM Citizens whom Died and the 35,000 Whom Were Wounded
In the First World War. When the Prince of Wales laid the Foundation
stone, on 12 June 1923. HE said the Building would stand to
, symbolise to Generations to Come -- Work of every Kind unflinchingly given, Compasion to the Sick and wounded, courage
And resource in adversity. and above all, Self -- Sacrifice in the Face of Death . Astonian;;;;;

Thanks for that Alan, my Dad used to take me to the "Hall of Memory", often as a boy, and greatfull I am for that, we should never forget. ​Paul

Hall of Memory 1.jpg All my life I have loved and Admired the Hall of Memory, One of the best monuments to the fallen I have ever seen, as a watercolourist I have painted it a number of times, and have attached an example. Such a great pity the had to build the new library so close. Eric

ROYAL MAIL REM SERVICE 20.11.16 008.JPG ROYAL MAIL REM SERVICE 20.11.16 009.JPG ROYAL MAIL REM SERVICE 20.11.16 010.JPG ROYAL MAIL REM SERVICE 20.11.16 012.JPG ROYAL MAIL REM SERVICE 20.11.16 013.JPG ROYAL MAIL REM SERVICE 20.11.16 014.JPG hi folks i attended this years royal mail rememberance service yesterday...weather cold and wet but despite that a great turnout of well over 100 people to honour our fallen postal workers..kenny stowe( who over 40 years ago found the plaque on waste ground and kept it safe not really knowing what to do with it that is until 2014 when this forum got wind of it:D) was also there feeling so proud that the plaque is now where it should be..also great to meet david delderfield ex manager of the erdington post office..had a lovely buffet and entertainment in the marquee after the service..loved the ending when we all sang land of hope and glory and waved out flags:)...few photos here of the day..

Last edited:
kenny stowe and his friend wilf...90 years young..he served in india and egypt

Attachments

• ROYAL MAIL REM SERVICE 20.11.16 002.JPG
    ROYAL MAIL REM SERVICE 20.11.16 002.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 13
Really great photos, so good to do,Lyn, I held my solitary parade, to the Cambridge Gas Co, Pals, as usual on the 13th.Paul

Thanks Lyn. So pleased Ken went too. Also good to see former Erdington PO manager there. A fitting tribute to 'our' postmen. Viv.

Back