• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Erdington postmen heroes remembered

hi zena im like you then not one for being in the limelight but its obvious that this wonderful story is worth a bit of media coverage and without it i dont think we would have got anywhere..well we certainly would not have had albert sharp and cornelius neals rellie come forward..i see your job is doing what my last part time job was..looking after the little darlings lol..ive noted the times that you work and i shall be asking for a weekend service if poss so that it wont upset your routine...thanks for the offer of holding the camera i may just take you up on that...

hope to have more news soon...

all the best

lyn

Last edited:
This is the area of the General Post Office Memorial plot, the Chapel and reception buildings in the background in one pic.

Attachments

• 2nd June 2014 Monday 037.jpg
    2nd June 2014 Monday 037.jpg
    452.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 2nd June 2014 Monday 041.jpg
    2nd June 2014 Monday 041.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 2nd June 2014 Monday 042.jpg
    2nd June 2014 Monday 042.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 2nd June 2014 Monday 043.jpg
    2nd June 2014 Monday 043.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 23
You know that there were many equally deserving soldiers in the wars who only have a name on a cross in France or wherever and a listing on a monument somewhere...the same as the soldiers on this plaque. Some un-identified even. They would not have had a separate memorial slate to be found and most would not have considered themselves to be heroes. But they were equal, only sans individual separate plaque ever.
The men in question would not have been forgotten in any greater measure than any of the others, so maybe the thread should be re-named ...'This plaque was nearly lost'... and these soldiers names were on it.

you know rupert i agree with you but not all the fallen can have seperate memorials as they did not all work for organisations such as the royal mail and quite right everyone who fought would not have considered themselves heroes its us that puts them on that pedestal and quite rightly so...as for the title of the thread im not that fussed as its been running now for over 3 months but if the mods want to change it thats ok with me its only a title and our task to make sure that the plaque finds a fitting home is nearly over..job done..

lyn

Last edited:
you know rupert i agree with you but not all the fallen can have seperate memorials as they did not all work for organisations such as the royal mail and quite right everyone who fought would not have considered themselves heroes its us that puts them on that pedestal and quite rightly so...as for the title of the thread im not that fussed as its been running now for over 3 months but if the mods want to change it thats ok with me its only a title and our task to make sure that the plaque finds a fitting home is nearly over..job done..

lyn
... and there were the heroes who came home alive. Some healthy, some that lasted just long enough to get out of the services. Most of the memorials are arbitrary in some way and there are names on them that deserve the place less than the names that aren't but without detail that probably isn't available anymore there's nothing that can be done about that.

yes wam heroes like my grandad who was gassed twice but came home suffering ill health for the rest of his life..he died in 1938 aged 50...i think we could rattle on about this forever but this thread is really only for those who support what we are doing for the 7 postal workers...not saying that you dont of course but i dont want us to stray off topic too much..

lyn

Last edited:
yes wam heroes like my grandad who was gassed twice but came home suffering ill health for the rest of his life..he died in 1938 aged 50...i think we could rattle on about this forever but this thread is really only for those who support what we are doing for the 7 postal workers...not saying that you dont of course but i dont want us to stray off topic too much..

lyn
I could not put it better myself Lyn.

BernardR

to be honest rupert i do not have the time to keep replying to nit picking posts..this thread has been running now for over 3 months and no one else has challenged the title of the thread..this project has taken lot of hard work not just by myself but by others and i would respectfully ask that if you have nothing posative to add other than that then please fall out...

lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we have lost sight of the fact that Lyn has done a fantastic job getting the plaque and soldiers identified. The actual title of the thread does not alter the fact that these men will now have a memorial which can be see by all the visitors to the NMA. That is the important part.

Janice

"" but if the mods want to change it thats ok with me its only a title and our task to make sure that the plaque finds a fitting home is nearly over..job done..""

Lyn, the title is absolutely fine and there is no need to change it.!!!

I've watched this thread from the start and how wonderful of Ken Stowe for saving the memorial, also to the forum members who identified the men, and of course Lyn's brilliant efforts and perseverance ensuring that the seven men will be honoured and not forgotten.

thanks again all..it really has been a team effort..i know that the relatives of 3 of the men who will attending the service will be very proud on the day of the service and i cant wait to see the look of satisfaction on ken stowes face as the plaque at long last finds its rightful place..after all he has spent over 40 years not quite knowing what to do with it....

hopefully the next update from me will be the date of the service and please remember that you are all welcome to attend..

lyn

Last edited:
Absolutely, this has been successful simply because Ken Stowe had the foresight to rescue it and our dear Lyn had the determination to get it reinstated. No small task.

Now if people want to make sure others are remembered get onto this Imperial War Museum site. I've started building up the lives of six of our seven postmen on there (unfortunately Albert Sharpe's records aren't available via the website). But I'll continue to build the records up for these men and will also continue to update our biographies on the other BHF thread. My feelings: it's least we can do. Viv.

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org..._medium=email&utm_source=uk&utm_content=35002

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

to be honest rupert i do not have the time to keep replying to nit picking posts..this thread has been running now for over 3 months and no one else has challenged the title of the thread..this project has taken lot of hard work not just by myself but by others and i would respectfully ask that if you have nothing posative to add other than that then please fall out...

lyn
Hear Hear.

Only just noticed but is this Lyn replying to a PM and instead posted it on the Forum? We all make mistakes.

lyn

As someone who, in researching Albert Edward Sharp, spent 20+ hours, over a period of about a week, to corroborate the summary in Post #144, and feels honored to have been in a position to do so, I am similarly somewhat displeased by unnecessary nit-picking.

Lyn. It possibly wouldn't have been my choice of wording but I agree with the sentiment.:sneakiness:

Lyn

Not having anything to add to this thread I have not posted anything to it up until now, Lyn there are always going to be nit pickers and those that think they know or could do better. The thing to do is ignore them. By answering them you give them a feeling of self importance and satisfaction that they have gotten themselves noticed.

Lyn you keep up what you are doing in your own inimitable way, safe in the knowledge that the majority of the forum is solidly behind you, and don't be bothered by nit pickers (myself I would have used a stronger expression).

You are quite right Phil, though I'm sure Lyn already knows that. Actions speak louder than words is a very old expression (at least back to 1628). Many people talk and do nothing , Lyn thinks and then does something

thanks again to everyone for your continued support of this very important project..i am leaving this thread open for my updates and most importantly just in case any other rellies of the 7 postal workers see it and want to get in touch and add their comments...there is still time to do that before the rededication service..(date to be arranged)

lyn

hi zena hope you spot this post...i have been trying to contact you about the re dedication service...can you check your emails and private messages please..

cheers

lyn

Last edited:
Back