• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington postmen heroes remembered

Thanks Mike. Pity it doesn't take us any further on location.

Now found records for Henry James Holmes, he was decorated and was, I think, Acting Brigadier - if that's what the abbreviation stands for. He was killed in action. Grateful if anyone can decipher the info on the handwritten record.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1393087353.737585.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1393087434.316462.jpg

And a record for Ernest Cornelius Neal who was also decorated. Again grateful if anyone can decipher the info.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1393087493.245223.jpg

Viv.

many thanks mike and viv.. i would have thought that the plaque would have once been on some sort of post office building but there again maybe not..what we can be certain of is that it belongs in erdington so now i need to find out if erdington would like it back lol...

can i just say a big thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread and given so much useful information...it really has been a great help but its not over just yet..:encouragement:
viv i think its bombardier not brigadier..

lyn

Last edited:
Henry Holmes was acting Bombardier which I think is a equivalent to a corporal in the Artillery Regiments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks from me too colin..oh i do hope some rellies of these men turn up on the forum...i bet they would be thrilled to see the plaque...i know i would be...thanks again everyone..

lyn

The sub post office at Stockland Green is still there. It's just a little shop that sold toys as well as being the local post office
with a post box outside. The main sorting office in Erdington might well be where the plaque was originally. Hopefully, Lyn can find out.

The sub post office at Stockland Green is still there. It's just a little shop that sold toys as well as being the local post office
with a post box outside. The main sorting office in Erdington might well be where the plaque was originally. Hopefully, Lyn can find out.

thanks jenny i would also say that the plaque must have originally been either on the inside or outside of a much larger building than a sub post office.. i just cant imagine someone walking away with tucked under their arm...i cant pick it up thats for sure lol...cant really do much now until monday so onward and upwards then..

lyn

This is so interesting. I lived in Erdington at one time and also worked for the GPO. Imagine what it was like for these heroes to go to war, what a comparison to being a postman or any other trade, I guess. Anne

Record for postman Charles Bull, RAMC, joined 1915. Lived in Fern Road, Erdington. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1393091177.812553.jpg

Now looked at Private Charles Bull's, RAMC military record, here's some more info. He enlisted in October 1915. His wife was Florence Jessie (nee Humphries), they had two children Charles James (1/2/11) and Arthur Edward (3/2/18). They lived in Fern Rd, Erdington.

He was discharged in Jan 1917 and admitted to the National Sanatorium in Benenden with lung problems. He died of TB in July, 1922. Viv.

And finally tracked down more info about Private Albert Edward Sharp, in addition to Ken's post #31. Managed to find his details on the Erdington Division Absent Voters List; address at #6 Coton Road and helpfully it gives a company number.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1393101495.974821.jpg

Then found these

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1393101575.527493.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1393101618.729676.jpg

So he transferred (or does it mean the Devonshire Regiment was transferred?) to an Agricultural Company of the Labour Corps. And he's buried in St. Barnabas Churchyard. There's a headstone, but the photo is copyright so can't post here. Viv.

Lyn, I am so glad your friend saved this memorial plaque and kept it safe for so many years and then thought to give it to you. I hope relatives of these brave men find their way to our forum and that you manage to get it back on display somewhere.
Have you contacted the Birmingham Mail?

Thanks Colin B missed that one, wonder if they made the wooden one having "lost" the orginal!

Lyn, I am so glad your friend saved this memorial plaque and kept it safe for so many years and then thought to give it to you. I hope relatives of these brave men find their way to our forum and that you manage to get it back on display somewhere.
Have you contacted the Birmingham Mail?

hi pol...so am i glad that ken saved the plaque..he has moved house about 3 or 4 times and each time it went with him...and yes i am hoping that either carl chinn/evening mail will be writing an article about it but i want to have the full story and hopefully know what will happen to the plaque before anything goes to print...

lyn.

Back