• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington postmen heroes remembered

British Postal Service Appointment Books on Ancestry lists

Frank Concannon joined 1910 Birmingham asst postman
Alex Leadbeater joined Nov 1902 Erdington s.o.
Henry J Holmes joined May 1914 Erdington postman
Alfred E Meredith joined Nov 1905 Erdington tpman
Cornelius E Neal joined June 1912 Erdington pman
Seems to prove it was Erdington

Colin

morning col...it has crossed my mind that as erdington has been mentioned a lot if the plaque was dedicated to erdington postal workers in which case how come it was found in ladywood...the plot thickens..thanks everso for that latest info..i have written it all down...

lyn

Just an idea. Would St Barnabas Church, Erdington be a possible site for the plaque?
Maybe in their new building? And maybe to commemorate the 100 years? Viv.

Just an idea. Would St Barnabas Church, Erdington be a possible site for the plaque?
Maybe in their new building? And maybe to commemorate the 100 years? Viv.

highly unlikey viv as i believe the locals are still campaining to have a plaque replaced there to commemorate the local civilans who lost their lives.....should be more info on that on the st barnabas thread..

On the BRITISH POSTAL MUSEUM ARCHIVE it shows the wooden plaque listing the 7 as on the marble one.

Colin

brilliant work colin...no doubt now that this plaque belongs in erdington i believe the erdington office is still up and running although not certain..its looking like it could well have been on the wall of the erdington office someone stole it and for some reason dumped it in ladywood where it was found..amazing..

lyn

Last edited:
Pity there isn't one for Aston Manor I wonder if there ever was one.

I wonder if the plaque was in a council storage place. That happened in Tamworth when they found an old marble fountain in the old council storage in Kettlebook. Could be a possibility.

View attachment 91113
John_Charles_Pocket_Roll_of_Honour.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hi wend...no doubt about it being found in amonst the rubble of a demolished building on monument road in 1970/71...how it got there we will never know but the main thing is through some brillient detective work we do know that it belongs in erdington..i can see how ken stowe thought it was dedicated to postal workers in ladywood as that is where he found it..i thought the same as well...i think i now need to get in touch with the erdington sorting office and talk to them...

lyn

Last edited:
Just wondered when Erdington sorting office was built, could it be it was removed for "safe keeping" whilst the new office was being built and somehow got lost?

hi dwilly looking at the erdington sorting office i would say it was built before WW1 although cant be certain on that so your idea could well be possible..

lyn

hi dwilly thats a smashing photo...ive zoomed in on it and cant see the plaque on that wall so where it was originally is still a mystery but one i am sure we will get to the bottom of eventually

many thanks

lyn

Can't be sure about this, but I'd have expected the marble plaque to have been inside a building, rather than outside. Looks in good nick to me but no expert on this. Any stonemasons out there can advise?! Viv.

Some info on Cornelius Neal His full name was Ernest Cornelius Neil, hence why he's been more difficult to track down. He was in the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles). Died of his wounds on 26 August 1915. Viv

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1393079389.985244.jpg

Above the main entrance door is GR carved into the stone which I guess is King George which probably fits in with 1938 road development, so if my thoughts are right the plaque may have been at a previous site in Erdington, but where that was I don't know, there must be an Erdington Local History Society so I expect they might be able to help

thanks viv looks a switch of first and middle names as he is down as C E NEALE on the plaque...it happened a lot lol....i noticed that he was born in the st george area...thats my neck o the woods...

lyn

Above the main entrance door is GR carved into the stone which I guess is King George which probably fits in with 1938 road development, so if my thoughts are right the plaque may have been at a previous site in Erdington, but where that was I don't know, there must be an Erdington Local History Society so I expect they might be able to help

oh well spotted dwilly...this sounds possible so more research to do...

many thanks

Don't know if this will help. This is Frank Concannon on the 1911 showing him as a Postman. Can anything be gleaned re. Erdington P O location from this? Not too sure what the column next to occupation says, but it's got 'P.O' in it then something else next to it. Will try and get a better copy I think. Viv.ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1393083493.019742.jpg

The 1921 Kellys lists the Erdington Sub Post offices as at Gravelly Hill, Short Heath, Slade Road, stockland Green and Wood End Road. This would be before the building in the photo. There only seems to be sub post offices there at that time.

Alexander Leadbeater, the earliest of the named soldiers to join the P.O. joined in 1902 when it was a sub-office (s.o). - re. Colin's post #40. If we can find anything more on him, maybe that would help, or maybe not! Viv.

Back