• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington postmen heroes remembered

Makes you realise just how many , ordinary working men and women, contributed to our country's call, and many paying the ultimate price, while others without fanfare came home from the horrors, and quietly got back into their working lives. So very grateful, I put a poppy cross every year to the "Cambridge gas Company Pals", the company long gone but their memorial still stands by Tesco!!

UPDATE

hi folks for those of you who are not familiar with this story and for you to understand it it is best if you start reading this thread from post 1 ....the other day i visited the NMA to have a look at the newly remodelled site of the GPO memorial garden and noticed that the postal plaque was not there ( if you read the thread it was originally sited in 1922 at the old post office on erdington high st.). after a couple of days making enquires i have been informed that our postal plaque is on the move again...it has now been cleaned by a stone mason and will be sited at the post office in erdington...the post office is now in the process of a refurbishment but as soon as that is completed the plaque will be placed there which is really where it belongs..i will be informed when it is in situ at the post office so that i can go and have a look and take a photograph...this is good news folks as most of the royal mail memorials are sited within post office buildings

i am sure we would like to thank the NMA for looking after the plaque for the past 10 years but after an absence of over 50 years it is time for it to go back home...

lyn

Last edited:
Thanks Lyn
I for one am pleased it is going HOME as I always felt it should be back in Erdington.
I hope it joins the wooden plaque which has WW1 and WW2 names on it.

Last edited:
As I understand the history, the post office where the men named on the plaque worked from was on the Green (High Street). When the new Sutton New Road GPO opened (in 1938), the work moved there. The former Green/High Street premises were demolished (but not until the 1950s/1960s I think). So if the marble plaque goes to Sutton New Road, that seems appropriate.

Back