• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Erdington old buildings

Nice building, 168 Gravelly Lane...

1914 may have been a Drapery shop.
1939 Wrensons
1968 Alan Richards-may have been a cycle shop

Nice building, 168 Gravelly Lane...

1914 may have been a Drapery shop.
1939 Wrensons
1968 Alan Richards-may have been a cycle shop
It would be good for names of places to be on the photos - we might be able link them to older ones on BHF. The top photo looks like a derelict* building but does have a newish car parked there. * Actually my thoughts were of another description but this could well be a family Forum! :eek:
The second looks equally derelict.

An earlier photo of building in picture 3, flags and bunting on the buildings.
index.php

Last edited:
For info. The first photo is on Chester Road - opposite Knipersley Road - near Chester Road Station. Interesting shell window decoration. Viv.

It would be good for names of places to be on the photos - we might be able link them to older ones on BHF. The top photo looks like a derelict* building but does have a newish car parked there. * Actually my thoughts were of another description but this could well be a family Forum! :eek:
The second looks equally derelict.
The top photo is someones house lol I seen them go in etc plus theres kids toys on the side of house etc
yes sorry top photo is chester road by train station as theres a lot of Victorian house along here, then ive turned onto
Gravelly lane Where 2nd, 3rd photo was taken and as put the last is Highclare School

I also saw those old Mens / Gents toilets in Rookery Park today from Wood End Road in Erdington.

One of my Twitter friends who is local says even when he was young in the early 1980s it wasn't in use? So when was it last in use?

Last edited:
Wood End Road.

Little Ripley Day Nursery

Then crossed over Rollason Road (still on Wood End Road).

Rollason Wood Hotel

Last edited:
I also saw those old Mens / Gents toilets in Rookery Park today from Ward End Road in Erdington.

One of my Twitter friends who is local says even when he was young in the early 1980s it wasn't in use? So when was it last in use?

whats the history on this Rollason Wood Hotel then ??? old ?
whats the history on this Rollason Wood Hotel then ??? old ?
That's amazing, I took the same two photos last week, they are identical :). Number 11 bus drivers used this toilet all the time in the past.

These days the driver of the 11C stops outside of Acocks Green Bowl for around 10 minutes for a toilet break!

If there wasn't an Asian wedding party in Rookery Park, I may have popped in for a look. So missed the Rookery Park House.

Big Rolls Royce parked outside!

I also saw those old Mens / Gents toilets in Rookery Park today from Ward End Road in Erdington.

Should read Wood End Road

Only just about got around to travelling back to Rookery Park to have a look around.

Saw this derelict toilet block on the way to see the house.

Bricked up and covered in graffiti.

This was the state of Rookery House, under scaffolding. So assume it's getting restored, or just to protect the house?

The garden would be nice in spring / summer.

ell there is a shoot to the left of the building and i cant seem to see the roof so i guess it is possible they are replacing it...fingers crossed

lyn

Almshouses built in 1930 of the Charity of Sir Thomas Holte. Near Church Road and Trafalgar Road in Erdington.

Apparently built to replace a demolished almshouses on Aston Lane, Birmingham.

Osborne Primary School dates to 1897. Osborne Road, Erdington.

The shop on Gravelly Lane with the tower above used to be Tower Cycles. Run by Alan Richards (and his mum) it was a great shop, selling lightweight bike components to racing folks, and bikes and hardware, and, strangely enough, paraffin ! (Esso Blue)

Memories, I used to walk all along Gravelly Lane from Marsh Lane to the Pavilion cinema
in the late 50s.

Malcog
Not sure the paraffin was that unusual. I remember a shop in my childhood , in Chichester, which was a cycle shop, but also sold paraffin and where you could exchange the accumulators for powering the radios of the time

The shop on Gravelly Lane with the tower above used to be Tower Cycles. Run by Alan Richards (and his mum) it was a great shop, selling lightweight bike components to racing folks, and bikes and hardware, and, strangely enough, paraffin ! (Esso Blue)

i remember our dad also buying pink parrafin

lyn

Back