• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Erdington male voice choir !922

P

Pam RM

Hi, hello to everyone on here this is my first post so please be gentle with me :) I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find some info on Erdington Male Voice Choir around 1922-1938. The conductor at that time was a Mr Walton who moved to Erdington from Castle Gresley in Derbyshire.
Thanks for taking the time to look :)

Hi Pam there arequite a few erdington voices on here some not so angelic :) so someone may be able to help with some info :)

Thanks otherhalf :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Pam: I think your best bet to find information on the Erdington Male Voice Choir would be at the Erdington Library. That's if no one else on the forum has any info. If the Conductor's name was George Walton, I have tracked him down to Gresley where he was the conductor until l922 which fits in with your date. https://www.gresleychoir.org/the-history.html
The Erdington Library has a web site and you could send them an e-mail. [email protected]

Jenny.... Thats him George Walton. The Walton family that sang at Chuch Gresley are relatives of a friend of mine who has recently made this discovery while researching his family tree. I offered to find out if there was any news of George after he moved to Erdington.
I will have a look at Erdington Library. I tried at the archieves in town, but have yet to try the local history sections.
Thanks so much for taking the time to look, much appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I just ask if this George Walton's middle name was Henry do you know? Any idea what age he would have been in 1922, as I have loads of George Waltons going right back to the orignal in 1796 in my family tree.

Hi Darr: The George Walton mentioned in the choir post didn't have a middle name according to the listing on the London Choir website. He is listed as G.Walton only.

Hi Darr, as far as I know George Walton, conductor did not have a middle name. If I find out differently I will let you know. I have a friend whose family are from the Church Gresley area in South Derbyshire. If you have any connections there I can pass on details once I`ve checked it`s OK. I will find out when he was born & post it on here.

Thank you...it seems Walton was quite a popular surname in these parts.

Hi Darr, George Walton (conductor) was born 1879 in Church Gresley, South Derbyshire.

Back