• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Erdington - High Street

Ian FOFB

Brummie yes ! Novice no !
Various images and scenes from Erdington High Street from between 1900 and present day.

and a couple of the Church House .
The 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures taken from Google Streetview.
The older of the pictures is thought to date from the 1920's.

Ian.

Ian
I have taken the liberty of lightening two of your cards
Mike

View attachment 64766
Erd2520High2520St_1915A.jpg

In response to Rupert - I've had the pictures for a while - on a USB memory stick - which I - ahem - mislaid until recently.
And as Mike has - anyomne please feel free to do whatever you like with them, I just hope they are of interest and stir a few ( good ) memories.

Ian.

As an aside; is it ok to paste Google Images on here for information purposes. Some members do not have GE . I was wondering if some intelectual patent was involved to violate. I have wanted to use the street photo's just to inform.

I did check with Postie before starting these threads. The Google Streetview images are 'watermarked' by Google and as long as they are credited as being Google images it should not be a problem.

Great set of photos Ian. BTW how do I keep missing you and Brian when I go to the Lad prior to Blues matches? Given up on it? (Don't think so!)

Not deliberately trying to miss you David - honest - I think you leave to go to the match before we arrive , normally get there 2 o'clock ish or later.

great pic.when i was a child.i got lost in the high st.and a friendly copper took me to the station.were they fed me tea and cake.while i waited for mom to come and get me.

and a couple of the Church House .
The 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures taken from Google Streetview.
The older of the pictures is thought to date from the 1920's.

Ian.

The Google Earth picture of Church House, High Street. I think it was built around 1911 and became quite popular for meetings and productions in the early part of the century.

0B0447D9-EE33-40E7-B504-4A214CF804B1.jpg

This has most probably been on BHF before. What a wonderful 1920s view of the High Street. People going about their business, not much in the way of traffic. A glimpse of the fresh fish shop to the left, the striking Picture House to the right, a lad pushing a pram and a young girl dreaming about whatever's in that window display.

The Picture House reminds me of my Nan who, at the time was living on Chester Road. It’s highly likely she visited the Picture House, and frequently. She was smitten with the stage and film. She had performed on stage herself before WW1, travelling around in this country and the US. Then she married, so by the 1920s she would have found any opportunity to go to see films. She lost her husband by 1929 and eventually in the early 1950s moved out to Hollywood with her daughters.

It’s quite incredible what impact film and media etc can have in influencing us today, but even a hundred years ago, it was influential enough to make a young woman pursue her dreams of moving across the Atlantic to live the life she’d imagined.

However, I think she decided it didn’t quite live up to her expectations as she returned to the UK, but still often travelling back and forth to visit her daughters who remained there.

Viv.

AC890050-2261-4F62-BE09-38BBA0EF7031.jpeg

Last edited:
This was a slightly more difficult one to pin down in today's view. The one thing that confirmed it for me was the pediments above the windows on the right. Not too sure of the date, possibly 1920s? Viv.

Screenshot_20230806_113918_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231109_180256_Maps.jpg

Back