• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Erdington High St. Photos

S

sjjones

I'd be interested in any photos of Erdington High Street around Coton Lane area if anyone could share them with me please as I used to work at Houghton's, the Gents Outfitters when I first left School.
Houghtons was situated oposite Owen Owen (Previously Taylors) and I would love to see a picture of the old shop if anyone can help please. I guess Houghtons must have been there from around the turn of the century judging by the shop fittings I remember and it closed about 1970.
Thanks.

HI sj: I have a photo in a calendar that came out three or four years ago of the corner of Coton Lane but I can`t put my hands on it at the moment. I found this one on line. It is of the corner of Coton Lane and High Street. I believe that shop was once Boyd`s Bicycle shop for many years. My brother`s first flat after he was married is the third window to the right. That would be 1969. The upper part of the building hasn`t changed just the shops underneath. I remember Dorothy Perkins and Lotus Shoes.
I remember W. Taylor`s very well and it has been discussed on the Forum over the years. I remember when it was taken over by Owen Owen, a Wolverhampton company many years ago. I will try and look out the calendar photo. Update: Phil had posted a photo of the Methodist Church that used to be in the High Street.

Last edited:
Hi sjjones

I have these few photos of Erdington High St, I don't know Erdington too well so I am unable to recognise if any of them are the location you require. They are all different times and locations up and down the High St. I just hope one shows the location you want. If you just run your mouse over each photo you will see the year each was taken.

Phil

Attachments

• Erdington High St 1977 .jpg
    Erdington High St 1977 .jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Erdington High St 1954 vc.jpg
    Erdington High St 1954 vc.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Erdington High St 1961.jpg
    Erdington High St 1961.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Erdington High St 1963 .jpg
    Erdington High St 1963 .jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Erdington High St 1972 .jpg
    Erdington High St 1972 .jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 79
Hi sjjones

I have these few photos of Erdington High St, I don't know Erdington too well so I am unable to recognise if any of them are the location you require. They are all different times and locations up and down the High St. I just hope one shows the location you want. If you just run your mouse over each photo you will see the year each was taken.

Phil

Well done Phil. Never seen them before. When we had 2 churches in the High street and you could park your pram outside a shop.

Thanks for posting the photos of Erdington High Street pmc1947. Like Frothy, I too had never seen them before. The first one is taken from the corner of Coton Lane looking across to W. M. Taylors(Owen Owen) in photo. Looks like W.M. Taylors Hardware Store on the corner of Harrison Road became a Kwiksave Grocery store.

Photo 2 Taken the Parish Church side of the High Street and looking down towards Barnabas Road. I think Decorwall used to be Crown Wallpaper also there was a Scotch Wool Shop almost next to Woolworths which you can just about see with a different name.

Photo 3. Is looking along the High Street from Coton Lane
to York Road. I well remember the Lotus Shoe Shop. My shoe hunt never included that shop since the shoes were more expensive in there. Notice the pavement which over time became very uneven and was replaced eventually with bricks...saw a lady fall flat on her face after tripping up over one of them.

Photo 4 is looking down the High Street just beyond Six Ways. On the left the shot is looking straight down to Coton Lane and beyond. On the left hand side is the Methodist Church in Newman Road with it's distinctive tower. Replaced by a Barclays Bank I think which is now gone too.

Photo 5 is taken from Erdington Parish Church showing the famed Dolcis shoe store on the other side of the street, the Church House and shops beyond.

Two photos of Erdington High St forgot to say the view was from opposite ends of the Street!, from Pbase photos by Keith Berry RIP. Len. Sorry to confuse you Frothblower did you think you had double vision!!.Len.

Attachments

• Erdington High St bhw (2) .jpg
    Erdington High St bhw (2) .jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Erdington High St 66.JPG
    Erdington High St 66.JPG
    255 KB · Views: 45
Last edited by a moderator:
Erdington High St, Keith says it was a Tesco shop. Len.

Attachments

• erdington high st.JPG
    erdington high st.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 35
Hi...just browsing through the photos of the "village" and saw the picture of the Boots that I worked in as a Saturday job when I was 16/17....it was small and had wooden fittings and sold bay rum and stiptic pencils....it was modernised and moved to the corner of the road going towards the City (forgotten what its called)..,it has moved back there.?..quite near to the cinema (bet thats gone)

Hi...my Mum worked at Taylors for years..she remembers lots about it...will ask her if she remembers Houghtons.

Hi Guys,
Thanks so much for the photos they certainly brought back memories I think Houghton’s was either the 2nd or 3rd shop along from the National Westminster Bank going towards Six Ways.

The 2nd photo pmc1947 posted showing Decorwall and the Crown Wallpaper Shop brought back memories too as my mate Roy Hollingsworth used to live in the flat above. To get to the flats you had to go round the back of Woolworths and up a fire escape. We used to have great fun with all the edging strips that came attached to the wallpaper that the Crown Shop used to throw away out the back, as we used to make streamers out of them and I remember being told off for throwing them out of the flat window onto the people passing by beneath.

Frothblower mentions 2 churches in the High Street back then, but I believe there was a third church at Six Ways opposite the Municipal Bank as I remember my Dad, who worked as a Labourer & Odd Job Man for Mr. Bird, who owned Abbey Garage helping to demolish it. I also believe Mr. Bird had another garage on the High Street at Six Ways as well as the one opposite the Abbey. I'm not sure if the attached photo is the garage at Six Ways or the one at Station Raod end of Erdington.

Thanks again for all your posts...Fascinating.

Attachments

• Erdington 6 Ways.JPG
    Erdington 6 Ways.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 50
dear lencops
Well i used to work in Halfords cycle shop on the high street that very shop in the picture i would put the cycles out and anything that was to attract the customer ..
some times i would dress the windows according to the season.I worked there in 1961-1962 the staff were arthur newnham manager alan coulthard osbourne baker
john more val wood office girl there were others but i can,t remember there was one lad who was going out with the office girl.John moore(trog) came from Nechells Green
he was the moped come bycycle mechanic what ever ther was a welsh lady Mrs Jones and the cleaning lady was Mrs T but i cannot think of her name.we had to clean sweep the front of the shop before nine o clock in the morning .And i had to make sure that the goods outside did not stick out over the pavement to much.
Happy days Roystonp123

Hi...just browsing through the photos of the "village" and saw the picture of the Boots that I worked in as a Saturday job when I was 16/17....it was small and had wooden fittings and sold bay rum and stiptic pencils....it was modernised and moved to the corner of the road going towards the City (forgotten what its called)..,it has moved back there.?..quite near to the cinema (bet thats gone)

When was the last time you were in Erdington,suze.
The Palace as be gone 30 years or more.

Yes, there were three churches in Erdington High Street. Technically, the Methodist Church was in Newman Road off the High Street). If you count that one then the Gospel Hall in New Street, just off the High Street can be included making four. The Erdington Baptist Church was on the corner of Wood End Road and the High Street next to the Abbey Garage. The old church was demolished many years ago and a new
Baptist Church was built several yards down Wood End Road.

When was the last time you were in Erdington,suze.
The Palace as be gone 30 years or more.

Been away for 34 years so....I was a child bride!...any photos of the Palace anybody...used to love going there for the Minors Matinees....a shilling and we paid to go in AND could by some sweets or ice cream

Hi..what the cinema called almost opposite the Palace in the 40's ...my Mum called it the Flea Pit??

The person in the front of the picture looking at the meat counter which i presume is Erdington Market is Pat Cattermole. I can name her because she is no longer with us...Cat

Been away for 34 years so....I was a child bride!...any photos of the Palace anybody...used to love going there for the Minors Matinees....a shilling and we paid to go in AND could by some sweets or ice cream

The Palace Erdington-

Catkin, The photo of the meat counter was at Tesco`s not the market when they moved out Peacocks moved in. Len.

More High St, Erdington photos. Len.

Attachments

• Erdington High Street 1966.JPG
    Erdington High Street 1966.JPG
    249.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Erdington High Street 1966 (2).jpg
    Erdington High Street 1966 (2).jpg
    206 KB · Views: 24
As everybody is so wonderful are there any photos of Railway Terrace off Thimble Mill Rd ( is it Aston or Nechells?)...I Googled it and a photo of the industrial unit that is there now came up!....what I would like is the old terraces that my ancestors may have lived in ...(no 33)

erdington picture house...

astoness

Attachments

• Erdington High St  Picture House 1956.jpg
    Erdington High St Picture House 1956.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 18
Brilliant photos,all of us from Erdington never said the High Street,we were 'going along the village'
To my sister who has lived there for 60 years it will always be the village.
She works at 6 ways end and when she finishes at lunchtime she walks the length of the village and down station road.
She rarely shops in supermarkets and buys everything she needs at different shops along the village.

Our teenage entertainment was wonderful

The Palace on Saturdays,the Picture house on Wednesday and maybe a bit further away the Plaza or the Pavilion on Sundays.
The coffee bar most evenings and the Carlton on Friday.
No drugs or alcohol needed to enjoy ourselves.

Back