• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington Hall School Ryland Road School

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
Ryland Road, Erdington changed to Erdington Hall School about the time I went. Frothy will probably know more about the date as he went there as well.

Ryland Road, Erdington changed to Erdington Hall School about the time I went. Frothy will probably know more about the date as he went there as well.

It was Erdington Hall School when I started there about 1954. The senior part of the school closed just as I was going to it, I had to go to Moor end lane school. Does anyone know if Moor end school have a school badge, I know I did'nt wear a uniform.

Ryland Road School, Erdington has already been mentioned, but not the teachers.
I remember Mr. Lemon, handy with the cane, Mr. Povey, dead shot with the blackboard cleaner, and Miss King, my very first true love. (I was only 14,) Miss Nash and Miss Evans, head teachers.
I went back there a few years back, it's still a school, but for infants only. Had a good tour round, it's much the same but the rooms all seemed smaller some how, and full of modern desks and computers.
Happy days.

Some information about the school from British History Online

ERDINGTON HALL COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Erdington. Ryland Rd. Council Sch. opened 1918 by Birm. C.B.C Accom 400 MI. Second block, accom. 400, opened 1923 and sch. reorganized for SM, JI. Accom. for 272 provided in huts 1930–1. SM dept. became a separate sch. 1945 (see next sch.).Name changed 1954. Accom. 1961: 12 classrooms, hall.

ERDINGTON HALL COUNTY MODERN SCHOOL, Erdington. Ryland Rd. Cty. Modern Sch. became a separate M sch. 1945. Name changed 1954 N.o.b. 1961: 250.

Some pupils in 1934.
Viv.
48782242-B1FD-4663-8F79-E3239F7A5046.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Back