• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gravelly Hill - Slade Road / The Slade

Hi - my dad lived on Gravelly Hill North - leaving Erdington towards Sutton Coldfield - house was called Greylands, Italian Family called Fachino - bisquit makers lived opp. him - 200 yards to the West. My grandfather was a dr. with practice in house with waiting room, toilet for patients........He's 84 - any chance of a photo of that area of Gravelly Hill......he also went to a school.......St. Mary's / St. John's........Any info greatly appreciated. Ann

Hi Ann

There were 4 large houses in that area that I am aware of:- Copeley House, Salford House, Highlands and Greylands. Have you got any pics of the house itself?

Cheers

James

Erdington. I was born & raised in Erdington, a lovely place in the 50`s. I went to Aston once but it was closed. ( Just kidding: ) Two things stick in my mind about Aston. Going to the Aston Hippodrome to see naked females, although they weren`t allowed to move back then. And a newsagent shop (near the R/way bridge trying to goad my mates into going in the shop to buy a copy of "Health & Effeciency". Jeez, we must have been randy teenagers back then :-}

HI Eddi Lowe, This is Sajid Shah, I am sure you will remember me I was the runner ? anyway the Maths teacher was Mr Griffiths and the other one was Mr Hitchcock, whom we all had another name. Glad to hear you remember so many of the teachers etc the art teacher had a ginger beard, I recall when he slippered Stewart, he never cleaned his pants and upside down SAMSON would be on his backside all day, you could not get away with this today, and his classroom was next to the Geography Teacher Mr Jones also I think.
Those were the good old days.

Saj

HI Eddi Lowe, This is Sajid Shah, I am sure you will remember me I was the runner ? anyway the Maths teacher was Mr Griffiths and the other one was Mr Hitchcock, whom we all had another name. Glad to hear you remember so many of the teachers etc the art teacher had a ginger beard, I recall when he slippered Stewart, he never cleaned his pants and upside down SAMSON would be on his backside all day, you could not get away with this today, and his classroom was next to the Geography Teacher Mr Jones also I think.
Those were the good old days.

hi sajid im sorry but I don't remember you, what year did you leave, where you in the same class, judging by your name I would assume you are of Asian extraction if so were you one of the cottage home lads ? any names you remember ? I still see roy cole (the drummer ) every week we are still best mates after over 50 years by the way geography teacher was mr linnell classroom next to the hall next to Johnson was religious education.( apologies to all who read this and have no interest in this school ) edd

Saj
hi sajid im sorry but I don't remember you, what year did you leave, where you in the same class, judging by your name I would assume you are of Asian extraction if so were you one of the cottage home lads ? any names you remember ? I still see roy cole (the drummer ) every week we are still best mates after over 50 years by the way geography teacher was mr linnell classroom next to the hall next to Johnson was religious education.( apologies to all who read this and have no interest in this school ) edd

Hi Edd, no problems, yes in deed I aM of the Asian origin, there were not many, and ai knew of Karban Mohammed who was from the cottages, but we came to UK in 1963 from Asia, few folks I recall were guys like David Stevens. Dave Exton, Carl Tulloch, John Hokke etc few folks were ahead a year and these were David Evans. Wajid Shah (brother) etc, still it's good to go down the memory lane, and thanks for reply, there was great history teacher also, Mr Dearden who was Welsh.
much regards
saj

Hi Saj

Well I certainly remember you and your brother, there were some really great and interesting characters at Slade Road; subsequently Erdington Boys school.

Hi Saj

Well I certainly remember you and your brother, there were some really great and interesting characters at Slade Road; subsequently Erdington Boys school.

Good to hear some dear school friends are still out there and kicking well, hope life has been kind and peaceful for you, family and friends.

Were you a year ahead or one year younger at school, cheers for now
saj

saj it looks like I was a year ahead of you david evans was the same year as me I left in 1967 people I remember roy cole, phil goode, alex bailey, kev Somerfield, billy Arnold (aka rambling sid rumpold and his nog), plus a few more. perhaps your brother will recall a few of these names edd

Corner of Slade Road and Hunton Hill. Then and now. There was once a stationers - A.Fanthom - on the corner. Sorry no date for the old postcard view. Viv.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
I lived in Hillside road, opposite Hillaries Rd, next road down from Hunton Hill from 1962 till 1987 there was an off licence c/o Hillaries and Slade Rd owned by a Scotsman Jim Angus, we both worked for PO Telephones (later BT), his Wife ran the business, farther down by the railway bridge was an Asian green grocer, I used to give him the Worcester apples out of my garden and we went 50/50 on the sales, our garden backed on to George Rd MEB and Brookvale Park. Eric

Hi Eric. When they say 'locally sourced produce' you couldn't get more local than the apples from your garden! Pity we don't have more of this going on these days. Viv

Great photos! I had a friend who lived on Slade Road right opposite where George Road joins it. His dad was Polish and didn't speak any English whatsoever, even though he'd lived here for years.

I also remember a small garage on Slade Road that only did MoT's - I could never figure out how they made a living.

Big Gee
Hi what was the name of the sweet shop owner right on that corner of George rd and Slade rd ?

I`ve been in that sweet shop hundreds of times But i`m blowed if i can remember the name. Was there a greengrocers shop next door, & scruffy Joe`s cafe a few doors up.?

Hi thanks for your reply, i sort of remember the name started with H :) cafe yes but no money for cafe back then :) years later used to pop into the Brookvale pub

I lived in Hillside road, opposite Hillaries Rd, next road down from Hunton Hill from 1962 till 1987 there was an off licence c/o Hillaries and Slade Rd owned by a Scotsman Jim Angus, we both worked for PO Telephones (later BT), his Wife ran the business, farther down by the railway bridge was an Asian green grocer, I used to give him the Worcester apples out of my garden and we went 50/50 on the sales, our garden backed on to George Rd MEB and Brookvale Park. Eric

Hi Eric do you know of Charlie, Edith or Irene Hawkesford? (they lived at 20 kegworth Rd.) coincidently they also moved in 1962. Me and my mom (Irene) moved out in 1985, my nan (Edith) passed away in 1988 and finally my grandad (Charlie) moved out in 1995.

Kind Regards

James

Back