• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gravelly Hill - Slade Road / The Slade

Richard D

Brummie babby
My Aunt was born in Slade Road, Handsworth. I have looked on maps of Handsworth and Birmingham and can only find Slade Road in Erdington. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where Slade Road, Handsworth was or is?
Richard D:)

Richard. Only know Slade Road Erdington. Looks as if that was the only one. Where did your Aunt live and what was her name?
Lynda:)

Lynda. Thank you for your reply to my query. My Aunt was Frances Ellen Bosworth born in 1910 and registered in the Handsworth Sub District of the West Bromwich Registration District. Her birth certificate indicates that she was born at 20 Slade Road, Handsworth. By the 1911 census the family had moved to Wilton Street, Birmingham. I cannot see how Slade Road, Erdington could come under Handsworth, in the 1911 census it clearly comes under Aston/Birmingham.

Richard D:)

i had a look in the 1912 kellys and found

slade rd, handsworth - now called grasmere rd. handsworth

Edit. Unfortunately the images referred to at the start of this thread are no longer available, although images have been posted later in the thread.

The 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures taken from Google Streetview.
The older of the pictures is thought to date from the 1910's and 1920's.

Ian.

Last edited by a moderator:
I so enjoyed examining those pictures. I saw my old school. Also what I think was St Thomas Road, George Road and what I think was Hilaries Road. The bungalows I think were prefabs in my day. Thanks for taking the trouble to put those pictures on. It certainly brought back memories
Lynda:)

More great photos, thanks Ian. If my memory serves me correctly, there used to be a school clinic in between Highcroft Hospital cricket ground and the bungalows, well somewhere near there anyroad. I can remember going to the dentist there and having a verruca hacked out. I think the bungalows used to be prefabs.

Great photos! I had a friend who lived on Slade Road right opposite where George Road joins it. His dad was Polish and didn't speak any English whatsoever, even though he'd lived here for years.

I also remember a small garage on Slade Road that only did MoT's - I could never figure out how they made a living.

Big Gee

Thanks for those,i went to that school after leaving St Mary,s in Aston,quite exciting at the time,big school,and a nice bus ride there and backl,a couple of the classrooms were pre-fab type things,one for art,and the other was maths if memory serves.
Happy days.

Thanks for posting the photos Ian. No cars around in the old pictures and that's what makes a big difference when you look at the present photos. Yes, Zambodini...it was the Slade Road Clinic and it was indeed
a bit of a way down Slade Road from Stockland Green and above the prefabs. Many of us remember being "tortured" there with dental treatment. Very barbaric and off putting for so many kids who probably never went near a dentist for years and years after going there. They just pulled out teeth it seemed. There was also Sun Ray treatment there some days and I attended several sessions. Another bizarre carry on.
I attended Miss Jones' Chiropody practice on Reservoir Road to have my verruca injected with nitrogen. My mother used to "get her feet done" two or three times a year at Miss. Jones'.

Thanks for the photo's Ian. I was born in Kegworth Road, went to Slade Road School from infant's to seniors. when I left School in 1956, I went to work at Slade Road garage, opposite the prefabs. to learn to be a motor mechanic, whilst there I had to help to dig a big hole at the front of the garage to install 2 new petrol tanks ,extend the forecourt and build a new lubrication bay,(no J C B's or health and safety rules ). The photo's brought back memories of the cafe' on the corner of George Road,the Star cinema in Slade Road, Brookvale Park also the Plaza cinema at Stockland Green also lot's more. Graham

Hi Dave, Sorry but I don't remember any photo's being taken of the staff or of the forecourt after all the work was finished. Graham.

Dave. I think you may be refering to the photo of the staff of Bonners Garage. I too have this photo but I can't find it either.
It was taken sometime in the early 60's

Chocks

Dave. I think you may be refering to the photo of the staff of Bonners Garage. I too have this photo but I can't find it either.
It was taken sometime in the early 60's

Chocks

Chocks think it`s the same one as Graham`s, but Wrong a lot of times :(

off to look for the pic :)

I remember the Bonners well. Harry passed the garage over to his son in the early 60's who kept it going well into the 70's. Don't know who owns it now but it hasn't been a petrol stn for years.
Doctor Sihngs surgery was next door to Harry's house. The waiting room as I remember was always full of fag smoke and his consulting room was just as bad.
Chocks

When I left ,Harry and his family had moved to Falmouth where I believe he opened a shop selling boat accessories and Harry's brother Norman had taken over. Graham

Found the pic with the group, myself in touch with Ray, 2nd from the left at the rear, Graham, Ray said if you wish contact details will pass them in a PM to you, Ray was there 1953-56 and 1958-1959

When I left ,Harry and his family had moved to Falmouth where I believe he opened a shop selling boat accessories and Harry's brother Norman had taken over. Graham

I always thought that Norman was Harry's son, bearing in mind I was only about 5 yrs old at the time but my mom went on to work for Norman in the 60's. That's how I got to know them.

Thanks for posting the photos Ian. No cars around in the old pictures and that's what makes a big difference when you look at the present photos. Yes, Zambodini...it was the Slade Road Clinic and it was indeed
a bit of a way down Slade Road from Stockland Green and above the prefabs. Many of us remember being "tortured" there with dental treatment. Very barbaric and off putting for so many kids who probably never went near a dentist for years and years after going there. They just pulled out teeth it seemed. There was also Sun Ray treatment there some days and I attended several sessions. Another bizarre carry on.
I attended Miss Jones' Chiropody practice on Reservoir Road to have my verruca injected with nitrogen. My mother used to "get her feet done" two or three times a year at Miss. Jones'.

Hi jennyann, yes I can remember standing in the queue at school waiting to have my teeth inspected in utter dread. D stamped on your card meant extraction and 20 mins meant a filling I think. I got a few but never went to the clinic for dental treatment once. I hated the dentist, still do, but I had to man up eventually to stop them all dropping out.

My dad dragged me off one day when I had raging toothache to Robinson's by the Yenton, and I never forgave him, as it was my first (and only) dose of gas .

Back