• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington Grammar School

Just to make it clear for anyone who reads this thread later, the photos in post #5 are of the house where Penny's aunt lodged not of the school.

I seem to remember that Erdington Grammar school was built in around 1926 but whether it was something else before I don't know. Part of the playing fields were the gardens of Erdington Hall so it probably ties in with the demolishing of that building and the construction of Tyburn Road.

Viv, there's another thread for this school - would be a good idea to merge them? Or is there a reason why they are separate? Edit. Threads now merged.

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/erdington-grammar.5412/page-3#post-611724

I still meet up with friends from Erdington and we always call it EGGS night!

Thanks Lady P. Threads merged, there may now be unseen posts earlier in this thread. Have also edited post #5. Viv

i never knew the dreaded miss bradford had a famous dad she used to frighten the life out of me she always sat in assembly in grey shorts uggg those hockey pitches an awful showersuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggg
I was in EGGS when Miss Bradford started. She was an absolutely brilliant hockey player. She played on the wing. Many, many of the younger girls had crushes on her. I'm surprised she turned into a dragon. Maybe she was OK to me because I was in the first eleven hockey team. I loved those hockey pitches! LOL. However those showers were dreadful.

Same uniform as 1948 when I was there. You could tell the 6th formers they were allowed to wear skirts.

Hi Susan P, Welcome to the forum. I left Erdington in the summer of 1963 having started there in September 1958 - I didn't stay on till 6th form. There is a thread with a little more about the school here and worth a look:

Speech day and prize-giving in 1966 at the Town Hall. Source:British Newspaper Archive. Viv.

6CAA3970-955F-4A27-8AF7-72452CF79298.jpeg

Just re-reading this thread again and recalled a couple of the school rules 1950s,
We had to kneel on the floor and our gymslips had to be 2 ins above the floor .
We were not to be seen eating in the street before or after school, one afternoon my mom took me along the village(Erdington high street) and bought peaches, giving me one to eat, a prefect saw me and reported me the next day,I had a warning from Miss Hill not to repeat my 'crime', lol., my Mom was furious and would have come to school but I convinced her not to show me up

Alberta, I was spotted eating an ice lolly and given a kindly warning not to do it again. Can't remember who it was that spoke to me but I was allowed to finish my lolly! There used to be a sweet shop at the dip in Wood End Road on our way to 6 ways and I'd bought it there.

Miss Hill's first name was Bernice.
Awarded OBE. I found her obituary in The Birmingham Post in the early 90s. She was a Blue Stocking, French was her subject. She took up the post of headmistress as a fairly young woman, when my Mom was a pupil there circa 1949. I was at the school 1969 - 1974. It ceased to be a Grammar School, sadly, in 1973.
I recall her taking part in a teacher's production of HMS Pinafore, as Sir Joseph Porter, wearing tights, dancing & singing. We were all amazed that our headmistress, usually so conservative could convert to perform in a Gilbert & Sullivan operetta with such ease!

Miss Hill's first name was Bernice.
Awarded OBE. I found her obituary in The Birmingham Post in the early 90s. She was a Blue Stocking, French was her subject. She took up the post of headmistress as a fairly young woman, when my Mom was a pupil there circa 1949. I was at the school 1969 - 1974. It ceased to be a Grammar School, sadly, in 1973.
I recall her taking part in a teacher's production of HMS Pinafore, as Sir Joseph Porter, wearing tights, dancing & singing. We were all amazed that our headmistress, usually so conservative could convert to perform in a Gilbert & Sullivan operetta with such ease!
I. was at Erdington Grammar from 1963 to 1970. The end of my first term was marked by the teachers putting on the musical of 1066 And All That. We were transfixed by their performances. Three teachers celebrated being seventy and having done fifty years of teaching. I seem to remember that they were Miss Mole and Miss Naish and one other.

I. was at Erdington Grammar from 1963 to 1970. The end of my first term was marked by the teachers putting on the musical of 1066 And All That. We were transfixed by their performances. Three teachers celebrated being seventy and having done fifty years of teaching. I seem to remember that they were Miss Mole and Miss Naish and one other.
Hi Sue, yes those teachers taught my Mom, she remembers them! How dedicated they must have been to teaching, as I'm sure they could have retired at 60.
It was clearly a school tradition to entertain the pupils, as they did something similar in the first year I was there. Could possibly have been 1066 & all that.

Hi Sue, yes those teachers taught my Mom, she remembers them! How dedicated they must have been to teaching, as I'm sure they could have retired at 60.
It was clearly a school tradition to entertain the pupils, as they did something similar in the first year I was there. Could possibly have been 1066 & all that.
Hi Selina,
Which years were you there?

Hi Sue
1969 - 1974
So you would have been a first former when I was in the upper sixth. I hope you were as happy there as I was. Those teachers were fantastic role models and as you say, so dedicated to their work. I feel very lucky to have been taught by them.

thorton rd

My school had air raid shelters we used to grow daffs in them, later i progressed to Erdington Grammer where we had tubbels in the building. I think we grew up in the detritus of ww2
Hi, I was wondering if you knew of two teachers at Erdington; Miss Pat Muffett or Miss Pauline Cadman, who may have been Mrs Granville-Jolly by that time? The latter was my mother and the former went on to teach at Edgbaston High School and who has recently died aged 99. Any memories or information will be fabulous.

Back