• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington Grammar School

I am trying to find photos or any other records of Erdington Secondary School for Girls. My aunt taught there for several years from Jan 1937. She died before I was born and I have only a few facts to go on. Her name was Elizabeth Hawkes from Cardiff and she was a lodger at 78 Sutton Road.
School photographs would be intersting but after all this time I am not opti

Welcome Penny. Hopefully members will be able to help. (Penny I shall move this thread to the Schools & Schoolfriends section as it will be easierfir those interested in the school to find). Enjoy the forum. Viv.

Last edited:
Hi again. I was wondering if you know anything else about the school I've looked through the listed Erdington schools and do you know if it became Erdington Grammar School for Girls? Below is the extracted list of Erdington schools from British history online. If it was the grammar school there's a thread here which might be of interest. https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...Erdington-Grammar&highlight=Erdington+grammar

Viv.

image.jpeg

(List extracted from https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/warks/vol7/pp501-548)

Last edited:
Thanks for your help Vivienne - I would not be surprised if it turned into a grammar school. My aunt was a real blue stocking, teaching German and French and English, esp drama.
Penny

Numbers 76 and 78 Sutton Road (#78 being the lodging place of teacher, Elizabeth Hawkes - building is not the school building)

Image (7).jpgImage (8).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your response. I shall find out if they have any archived stuff on the previous school.
Where are the photographs from? They are incredible. The poor woman in the garden looks very concerned. Perhaps she was a resident.
Penny

For all you Erdington GGS girls out there ... Viv.
image.jpeg

But how was a girl supposed to pay for all that make-up and clothes ?
image.jpeg

Last edited:
I remember Miss Hawkins and Mr Overboe. We were all excited to be getting A MAN at Erdington but he was not at all what we expected!
I was there from 1958 until 1963.
The needlework teacher mentioned in the 2014 post was Miss Willetts and we also had a teacher called Miss Gawley (spelling?) who had a very old fashioned hairstyle and a wonky eye. She used to write on the blackboard and look at you but you couldn't tell who she was looking at which was a bit confusing.
Miss Mole taught French and then Miss Marsden. It came as a shock the other day when I was talking to some school friends (we meet up once a month) and we realised that these teachers were considerable younger than us as the retirement age was 60 and they obviously hadn't reached this milestone. We thought they were ANCIENT!!!

Saw this photo on the internet dated September 1957. It is one of those photos taken by a rotating camera so is very wide. It has been stitched together, needs click on it and scroll.
ErdGrammar1957.jpg

oM, these photos were taken every four years if I remember correctly (long time ago....) and I'm on the next one. I can name most of the teachers on this one. Must have a look for mine. I remember scanning it for a friend who'd lost hers but can't find it at the moment.

Thank heavens for a methodical husband! Here we are in 1962 I think. I was in the fourth form and I seem to remember balancing on something although I can't remember what it was. The picture is in four separate pieces unfortunately.

Attachments

• EGS.1.jpg
    EGS.1.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 44
  • EGS.2.jpg
    EGS.2.jpg
    454.3 KB · Views: 34
  • EGS.3.jpg
    EGS.3.jpg
    452.3 KB · Views: 30
  • EGS.4.jpg
    EGS.4.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 31
Note to self: Always look at the picture before posting date! It's 1961 so I must've been in the third form. Just escaped the gymslip. As you can see it's the era of the beehive.

Back