• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Erdington Fire Station

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
Can someone decipher this Foundation Stone on Erdington fire station.
There are a few words I'm stuck on.
Thanks
IMG_2013_Fotor.jpg

think it does say chaplain froth...the writing is awful considering its not really very old..will take another look at the rest of it

https://www.wmfs.net/erdington/
The photo of the station shows the French flag (Tricolour) flying, a cultural exchange maybe?

This is my take on the foundation stone.

This stone was laid by
Councillor H.A.Mosedale?..........?
Chairman of the Fire Brigade Sub Committee
on the first day of June 1938
A.R. Tozer OBE Chief Officer Fire Brigade
Nicol, Nicol ?? Thomas ARIBA Architect(s?)
C.T. Stephens & Sons Builders .................?

Last edited:
A black, permanent, felt tip marker - with permission of course from the Fire Department or Station Commander ( a lady named Juliet I believe) - might, if done with care, reveal all the carved scripts.

The architects firm still exists although now seems known as Nicol Thomas. See here https://www.nicolthomas.co.uk/about.php
The councillor for Market Hall ward was Henry Alexander Sale JP - I can't at the moment find if he was linked to the Fire Committee.

I am sure you have that correct Janice, many councillors are on sub committees.
Anyway we seem to be making some progess and will, eventually, get to what the inscription actually is. :)

Henry Sale was awarded the MC in WW1 so that is most likely the correct name.

Attachments

• H Sale MC.JPG
    H Sale MC.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 11
Amongst the information I notice mention of the ' recently revised coat-of-arms'. Given the close proximity in the date of the start of WW2, I wonder how long it took for the newer style arms to become widespread.
I wonder, if or when, the buses and trams were dealt with? That would have been a large job given the BCT fleet size.

Amongst the information I notice mention of the ' recently revised coat-of-arms'. Given the close proximity in the date of the start of WW2, I wonder how long it took for the newer style arms to become widespread.
I wonder, if or when, the buses and trams were dealt with? That would have been a large job given the BCT fleet size.
An interesting article about the coat of arms of the city on Wikipedia, your post sparked my interest so I looked it up. Unfortunately as it is with all things, we may never know how long it took to change the emblem on public transport and of course again as it is with all those questions we are now wishing we had asked) there is probably no still alive (he says hoping there is) who can answer the question. And now I wonder what was the fleet number of the first new bus to receive a transfer. Gosh the holiday must have done me so good....the brain is bursting with questions now.
Bob

Re Councillor Henry Sale
He is listed as a Member of the Watch Committee in 1935.
Watch Committee BFB - 1935 (2).jpg Watch Committee BFB - 1935 (3) Sale.jpg Watch Committee BFB - 1935.jpg

Saw Erdington Fire Station today on Orphanage Road and took these photos. Can you confirm it was completed in 1939, or after the war?

Forward coat of arms above the fire engine doors.

Saw Erdington Fire Station today on Orphanage Road and took these photos. Can you confirm it was completed in 1939, or after the war?

Forward coat of arms above the fire engine doors.

Very nostalgic my uncle was a Fireman and lived and worked at the station in the 50s/60s he was Bungy Williams I used to stay some weekends it was lovely .

Very nostalgic my uncle was a Fireman and lived and worked at the station in the 50s/60s he was Bungy Williams I used to stay some weekends it was lovely .
Hi. You may not see this reply but thought I'd share with you just in case. I just joined this site as I'm trying to find some old photos of Erdington Fire Station from the 50s/60s as my mother is almost 70yo and am trying to put some old photos together as a surprise. She grew up on the station at that time. My grandfather was Sub-Officer Ashley 'Tom' Atkins. He lived there with my grandmother (Vera), my mother (Linda) and my aunt (Susan). My mum and aunt were only little girls growing up there initially but were there for quite a few years and went to Moor End Lane School while living at the station. So when you visited the station you may well have known them and played with them too.

Now, something I used to love is spending time with my grandfather and he would have many, many stories about his days in the fire brigade. Most of the stories I heard time and time again. I would never interrupt because they were great to listen to. One of the characters that often came up was your uncle, Bungy Williams. From what I can tell he was really well liked and always a bit of the comedian at the station.

One story I recall my grandfather telling me was your uncle manning the public office one day which had a hatch window for the public to speak to someone. Someone arrived (I think it was someone from the gas board or similar) who needed access to the station. Your uncle informed the gentleman that the station officer was sleeping and he couldn't possibly allow him past his office because he'll wake up and he really didn't like being woken up. So, to get around the problem Bungy suggested the gas man climb through the small hatch window. So there he was pulling this guy through the hatch and into the office so he could carry out whatever he needed to without waking the gaffer. And then made sure he exited in exactly the same manner! Of course there was no such sleeping station office but was just Bungy doing Bungy things.

Hi. You may not see this reply but thought I'd share with you just in case. I just joined this site as I'm trying to find some old photos of Erdington Fire Station from the 50s/60s as my mother is almost 70yo and am trying to put some old photos together as a surprise. She grew up on the station at that time. My grandfather was Sub-Officer Ashley 'Tom' Atkins. He lived there with my grandmother (Vera), my mother (Linda) and my aunt (Susan). My mum and aunt were only little girls growing up there initially but were there for quite a few years and went to Moor End Lane School while living at the station. So when you visited the station you may well have known them and played with them too.

Now, something I used to love is spending time with my grandfather and he would have many, many stories about his days in the fire brigade. Most of the stories I heard time and time again. I would never interrupt because they were great to listen to. One of the characters that often came up was your uncle, Bungy Williams. From what I can tell he was really well liked and always a bit of the comedian at the station.

One story I recall my grandfather telling me was your uncle manning the public office one day which had a hatch window for the public to speak to someone. Someone arrived (I think it was someone from the gas board or similar) who needed access to the station. Your uncle informed the gentleman that the station officer was sleeping and he couldn't possibly allow him past his office because he'll wake up and he really didn't like being woken up. So, to get around the problem Bungy suggested the gas man climb through the small hatch window. So there he was pulling this guy through the hatch and into the office so he could carry out whatever he needed to without waking the gaffer. And then made sure he exited in exactly the same manner! Of course there was no such sleeping station office but was just Bungy doing Bungy things.
Hi lawman....
I had the great pleasure to share

Hi lawman...
I had the honourable pleasure to share a few pints of bitter with Tom.... on many occasions...
He use to fascinate me with many stories about his service in the fire brigade....
Tom was a true well respected gentleman with a great sense of humour....
I never knew his name was Ashley until one afternoon enjoying a pint he explained to me why he went under the name Tom..
It was in his navy days .... he said being a sailor named Ashley did not come across as manly , so hence the name Tom....

Back