• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Doidge Road Erdington

Ian FOFB

Brummie yes ! Novice no !
The 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures taken from Google Streetview.
Looking up Doidge Road from George Road by Brookvale Park - dates as per the attachments.

Ian.

Hi

It appears the attachments have now disappeared - perhaps due to the hacking? Would it be possible to repost them please? I am trying to find out when Doidge Road was built/named. I cannot find it before c1908.

Many thanks

Suzanne

Thanks so much Postie!

Don't suppose you know the date of the picture do you ?

Suzanne

The original photo in post #1 was saved by a forum member and uploaded to the forum's Coppermine Image Host in the month after the 2011 hack attack.
Here it is as a link to the image host and it is the same pic which Postie has uploaded. The date given with photo is 1912.
Erd_Doidge_Rd_1912.jpg

The original photo in post #1 was saved by a forum member and uploaded to the forum's Coppermine Image Host in the month after the 2011 hack attack.
Here it is as a link to the image host and it is the same pic which Postie has uploaded. The date given with photo is 1912.
Erd_Doidge_Rd_1912.jpg

I lived in Doidge road 1942 to 1960. I hadn`t realised what a nice looking road it was. When you see something everyday you tend to take it for granted. Those who have eyes & see not!

Hi Smudger

Yes it does look like a nice road doesn't it? I'm trying to find out who the road was named after. Possibility is a Thomas Doidge or his son Thomas William Doidge, both builders, and lived in George Road at one time, so not too far away from Doidge Rd. The elder Thomas built a pair of semi-detached villas in Goldsmith Road, King's Heath c1891. Can't find a reference for Doidge Road before c1908.

Suzanne

Suzanne, Thomas and Thomas William Doidge - are listed on the monumental inscriptions for St Barnabas, Erdington.
hunimex.com

Hi pollypops, thanks. I knew Thomas William and his wife are buried at St Barnabas in a Vault and thought it likely the elder Thomas and his wife would be also. Is that a site to look at as I can't seem to access hunimex.com

Suzanne

Pollypops I've found it now - thanks

Hi Smudger

Yes it does look like a nice road doesn't it? I'm trying to find out who the road was named after. Possibility is a Thomas Doidge or his son Thomas William Doidge, both builders, and lived in George Road at one time, so not too far away from Doidge Rd. The elder Thomas built a pair of semi-detached villas in Goldsmith Road, King's Heath c1891. Can't find a reference for Doidge Road before c1908.

Suzanne

I can vaguely remember being with my Dad when he called into a house in George road to pay the rent, So that house could well have been the residence of the Doidge family. As builders they did a mighty fine job.

I can vaguely remember being with my Dad when he called into a house in George road to pay the rent, So that house could well have been the residence of the Doidge family. As builders they did a mighty fine job.
They certainly built nice garden fences which make the road look neat. They are the best front garden fences I've seen in an old street pic. The second pic which is missing from post #1 is shown below - it is dated 2009.
Erd_Doidge_Rd_2009.jpg

Hi Smudger, thanks for the information about your Dad paying rent to someone in George Rd. It certainly adds to the story.

Hi oldMohawk, thanks for the extra picture. I too thought those garden fences were smart!

Suzanne

The Doidge Builder yard was behind the houses a short way to the left of the Church (Slade Road end). Doidge built many houses around includinf Abbey Road and Rosemary Road. Most of the houses in Doidge Road where rented by The Company / family. I think he must have been very proud of his work as quality was good and up to 1960s many trees lined the Road.

Hi Smudger, perhaps you knew my father-in-law who lived in Doidge Road from 1933 to some time in the 1950's. He has been talking about Doidge Road and his old neighbours a lot lately so wouldn't that be amazing! His name is Dennis Smith.
Cheers from Australia
Leonie

Hi Smudger, perhaps you knew my father-in-law who lived in Doidge Road from 1933 to some time in the 1950's. He has been talking about Doidge Road and his old neighbours a lot lately so wouldn't that be amazing! His name is Dennis Smith.
Cheers from Australia
Leonie

Hi Leonie, I`ve sent you an IM.

Smudger

Picture looking down Doidge Road, shows the house I lived at from birth until later years, and some of the children are my relations who at the time lived a short way down on right. I would like to get a copy but can not down load clear. Please help me if this is on any records ?

Back