• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Erdington Cottage Homes

I

incachick9560

We think my mum was in Erdington Cottage Homes from around 1934 to 1938 with approx a year out during that time when she was fostered with Ada & Arthur Mitchell in Acocks Green.

Her two older brothers, Sidney & Ronald Smith were certainly there as was her older sister Maud Elizabeth Smith who died there aged 3yrs in 1935 - although we didn't know they existed until very recently.

Mum's name at that time would have been Dorothy Smith and the only possession that she retained was a book on the Coronation of the King in 1937 which was given to her by the residents of 'Waverley Road', which we know is in Small Heath.

I'd love to hear from others who might have been @ ECH during that time and anybody else who remembers being given a book like this from the residents of Waverley Road. I'm guessing it was a sort of charity gesture for children in the homes?

Hi, Do you know who Sidney and Ronald's birth mum and dad were - I've lost some Smiths, born in London, with links to Birmingham. Dad would have been George A. Smith.

Looking for a Ronald Smith and Robert S (Sidney) Smith - prob. known as Sidney.

Thanks v. much, Sarah

Hi, Do you know who Sidney and Ronald's birth mum and dad were - I've lost some Smiths, born in London, with links to Birmingham. Dad would have been George A. Smith.

Thanks v. much, Sarah

Thanks v. much, Sarah
Just checking to see if these messages are being monitored as I’m interested in Sidney and Erdington Cottage homes?

We think my mum was in Erdington Cottage Homes from around 1934 to 1938 with approx a year out during that time when she was fostered with Ada & Arthur Mitchell in Acocks Green.

Her two older brothers, Sidney & Ronald Smith were certainly there as was her older sister Maud Elizabeth Smith who died there aged 3yrs in 1935 - although we didn't know they existed until very recently.

Mum's name at that time would have been Dorothy Smith and the only possession that she retained was a book on the Coronation of the King in 1937 which was given to her by the residents of 'Waverley Road', which we know is in Small Heath.

I'd love to hear from others who might have been @ ECH during that time and anybody else who remembers being given a book like this from the residents of Waverley Road. I'm guessing it was a sort of charity gesture for children in the homes?
Just checking to see if this message is being monitored?

the member who started this thread is now only a guest so unless they rejoin the forum will not be able to reply to you....hopefully other members may be able to help

lyn

I'm now in my late 70's, for a time in the early 50's I lived in ECH namely Appledore, Mrs Green was the house mother and The Superintendent was a Mr Cox. I think I lived with Kenny Ishmael at Appledore. I remember getting into a spot of bother with Kenny, we both loved Doris Day and cutting the story short we ended up pinching her record ( Take me back to the black hills) and a record player from the store on Stockland Green. I was sent to Moseley Road Remand home, then Middlemore Emigration home but because of my flat feet and bandy legs ( I had rickets as a youngster) I wasn't sent abroad but was sent an Approved school in Bath. Kenny and I had run away from ECH a couple of times, we pinched Mrs Greens Bluebird Toffees on both occasions. I often wonder what happened to Kenny. I dabbled in production engineering, the Fire Service and finally Social Services before I retired. The reason I went into ECH in the first place ???

Found a birth for a Kenneth J Ismail, reg Cardiff 1940 and a marriage for a Kenneth J Ismail to a Grace F Hall, reg Bham 1978.

They appear on the 2002/03 electoral roll in Bham but that's all.

My dad was in the homes and briefly remembers it being call home 9? He was there during the 50’s his name is John burton. It would be great if anyone knew of him that could shine some light on his time here. He is now 75. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Back