• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington Cottage Homes / Aston Union Cottage Homes / The Gardens, Fentham Road

C

cornwall col

Childrens homes? anyone have any ideas or information?

Thanks

My grandmother Amy Grabowski, together with twqo of her sisters, was an inmate on and off in the Aston Union Cottage Homes. Her mother was also in the Workhouse across the road.
:tongue2:

hello, I was in the cottage homes from 1947 to 1950, due to my mother being in hospital with tb and my father dead, my name was patricia anne york, is there any way I could find out which house I was in,while in the home I had chicken~pox also the mumps so I would have been in the infirmary each time
elizabeth adams
e/mail [email protected]

Hello

I live around the corner from what used to be called 'Aston Union Cottage Homes' (later to become Erdington Cottage Homes). The Cottage Homes were built in 1899 to house around 300 orphaned and destitute children. Amazingly, these large Victorian houses continued to be used as children's homes until the 1980s (when they were called The Gardens). Over the years, thousands of children must have walked through the iron gates of the Cottage Homes.

I am putting together a book about the Homes based on the memories of people who lived in the Homes or who worked there.

If you would like to get involved please post here or email me (in confidence).

Many thanks - I look forward to sharing memories.

Gudrun
[email protected]

I stayed there while my mom was in hospital with my 2 brothers and sister some of the staff was not nice people i remember it like it was yesterday my little brother was always in trouble there we could not wait 2 be picked up sorry 2 say a lot of kids that lived there was scared of some of the staff not saying all the staff was bad but not a happy time for most that stayed or lived there is the old place still standing it had a nice garden i would of been about 5 years old so 41 years ago and still remember it my dad use 2 pick us up after work so glad it was only while he was at work we had 2 stay i went 2 the high school in the area when i was older so meet some of the childen that lived there not many nice storys about the place sad 2 say.

Hi Chip1965: Welcome to the forum. If you use the Search Engine at the top right hand corner of the front page and type in Erdington Cottage Homes there are lots of references and photos of the place.

Hi Chip1965: Welcome to the forum. If you use the Search Engine at the top right hand corner of the front page and type in Erdington Cottage Homes there are lots of references and photos of the place.
im new 2 the site not been on long i put cottage homes in and only found you write up lol

well iv just added 2 her research lol but still if you dont ask you never find out iv emailed her so hope 2 find out more

Hi Chip1965
I've just received your email - many thanks - so I'll reply directly as well. I am still doing the research and hope that the book will be out in November. Thanks for getting in touch!
Gudrun Jane

came accross this visiting card for the cottage homes..

cottagehomesvisitingpass.jpg

Hi

Thought you might be interested that there is a new book on Aston Union (Erdington) Cottage Homes - The Children of the Homes: a century of Erdington Cottage Homes. It is a complete history of the Homes plus lots of memories of people who lived there as children.

It can be found on Amazon but the postage is cheaper from the Children's Cottage Homes website: www.childrenscottagehomes.org.uk/bookshop

Attachments

• high qual cover for flyer.jpg
    high qual cover for flyer.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 1
Back