• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington Baths

Brenda

master brummie
In 1958-59 I used to have to walk from Birches Green junior school every day to the swimming baths in Erdington for a quick lesson, walk all the way back and then have dinner at school. I recall having a hot Oxo drink in the cafe at the baths.

Even till this day I still can't swim!!

Hi Brenda, The Erdington baths was a favourite of mine,( even with Brookvale park pool at the end of our road) we would cycle from Doidge rd. and enjoy an hour in the pool, even tried water polo with the Big boys, this was 1947 time, the biggest memory for me was that my friendly old and battered cycle was stolen from outside, no locks in those days, Ho-Hum, you still have time to get in the swim.

Hi Brenda...I went to Birches Green Junior school...Mr DG Watson was headmaster...the dreaded Mr Parkes ..who used throw the board rubber at us..scary man..Mr Carr was lovely...can't remember any more..we used to "swim" ...until my breath ran out...then look forward to hot bovril .
Susan O'Regan

Hi guys and gals, up until 1986 in Birmingham city there was just twenty baths in our city
Aston, Balsall Heath, Bournville
castle vale, Eddington, Great Barr,Hands worth, Harborne, kings Heath,
King standing, Monument Road, Nechells Northfield,, Saltley,
Small Heath, Spark Hill, Stechford, Stirchley,Sutton Coldfield,
Can anybody tell me just How Many Are Just serving today,
It would not surprise me if half have closed down,
Best wishes to all Alan,,,, Astonian,,,,,,

Sad indeed, I learned to swim there and got a free pass. I then used the free pass to death. Are there any plans fr the site yet?
Morturn, I have found from "Erdington Local" and "Birmingham Live" that Witton Lodge Community Association's application to change the use of the building from swimming baths to commercial space and community use with a co-working and enterprise hub, with café, restaurant and creche, has been approved by Birmingham City Council. West Midlands Combined Authority have pledged £2million of financial support to help Witton Lodge Community Association change Erdington Swimming Baths into an Enterprise Hub for social entrepreneurs and small business.

The public baths were opened in 1925 and closed in 2014. It was described in Birmingham Live as "in a state of disrepair, abandoned and unutilised". It is a great pity to see our local swimming baths closing, they are where so many of us (including myself) learned to swim. The photos below, show how it was before it had been allowed to get into "a state of disrepair", how it looks now and how it is planned to look:
1668602333120.png 1668602450159.png 1668602472250.png

Morturn, I have found from "Erdington Local" and "Birmingham Live" that Witton Lodge Community Association's application to change the use of the building from swimming baths to commercial space and community use with a co-working and enterprise hub, with café, restaurant and creche, has been approved by Birmingham City Council. West Midlands Combined Authority have pledged £2million of financial support to help Witton Lodge Community Association change Erdington Swimming Baths into an Enterprise Hub for social entrepreneurs and small business.

The public baths were opened in 1925 and closed in 2014. It was described in Birmingham Live as "in a state of disrepair, abandoned and unutilised". It is a great pity to see our local swimming baths closing, they are where so many of us (including myself) learned to swim. The photos below, show how it was before it had been allowed to get into "a state of disrepair", how it looks now and how it is planned to look:
View attachment 175098 View attachment 175099 View attachment 175100
Thanks fort his, I have contacted the group to look at recording the site before the refurb starts.

Last edited:
Back