• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ephraim phillips ltd

Hallo I hope you dont mind me posting but when I was training as a civil servant in the jobcentre we were taken down to Ephraim Phillips for a tour around the factory to see the process from start to finish. I used to love doing visits like this but it wasnt always encouraged. It was a fascinating place to see the press work cnc etc it was funny because at 12 oclock the hooter went and I have never seen people move so fast it was I think Friday
There are quite a few photos on the Forum showing how many people let their factories - it looks, to an outsider, rather like they were running away from some catastrophe. :grinning:

I was an apprentice in the 60's at Ephraim Phillips Ltd in Bissell Street. It would be great to contact fellow work mates.
I also have many old ledgers which belonged to the founder Ephraim Phillips dating back to the 1880's, which I found in a rubbish bin when the company was closing down.

Peter
Hello Peter
I was an apprentice Maintenance Fitter at Ephraim Phillips from 1973 to 77. I remember your name but can’t recall your face. I loved my time there and learnt some fantastic skills thanks to the great tradesmen I worked with. It was Ron Maybury who interviewed me and gave me the apprenticeship, a great guy to whom I owe a debt of gratitude. I worked with: (amongst others)
George Williams
Alan Watkins
Tex
Tony Whelan
Albert Harrison
Lenny Lester
Mick Stacey
Barry Johnson
Jack (Long?) Pipefitter
David Evetts
Gary Jennings
Kenny Bartlam
Les Goodman
Micky Atkins

I would love to see the photos you have. If possible could you email them to me please [email protected]
Many thanks Peter
Steven Newell

Hello there.

I hope that this reaches you as it is some years since you posted your note. However, we must be related. Ephraim was my great grandfather, Howard my grandfather and Douglas my father. So where do you fit in the family?

By the way, I think the book referred to might be 'Balsall Heath, a history' which I saw in the Birmingham Library.

Interested to hear from you!

Best wishes

Hazel
Hello Hazel
I remember you! I was an apprentice Fitter at Ephraim Phillips from 73 to 77. Hope life has been good for you.
Kindest Regards
Steven Newell

i worked at ephraims twice .iwas one of the first screw operative block release trainees i did six months at bournvile college and six months <br>at ephraims.<br>i worked with dave andrews&nbsp;on the course.the second time i worked with jack day and ray grew also trevor rhodes and big&nbsp;walley cheese . i <br>also remember the the lad who died cleaning the degreaseing machine. my name is les smith.<br>
Hi Les I worked at Ephraim from 1978 to 1983 Jack Day trained me on the Headers, also did the Bournville college day release program. Ray Grew was the Foreman, Kenny Wilkes, Garry Euienn header operators. Trevor Rhodes is in Canada and I talk with him often have sent him this link as he has a better memory than me of all the names.
John Twyford

My dad worked at EP when I was little maybe late 70s to early 80s his name was Michael Stacey. I remember going to Christmas parties there
Hi. I remember Mick Stacey very well. I was an apprentice working with him in the late seventies/early eighties. Mick was a really great person with a fine sense of humour......also a very, very good Machine Tool Maintenance Fitter.
Kindest Regards
Steve

Hello there.

I hope that this reaches you as it is some years since you posted your note. However, we must be related. Ephraim was my great grandfather, Howard my grandfather and Douglas my father. So where do you fit in the family?

By the way, I think the book referred to might be 'Balsall Heath, a history' which I saw in the Birmingham Library.

Interested to hear from you!

Best wishes

Hazel
Hi Hazel, just came across this post and was reading through the comments. I'm also related to Ephraim. This brother Nephi is my great great grandfather.
Jane

Hi
I sold a threadrolling machine to Ephraim Phillips in the late 70s & Ron Maybury was Works Manager then, I worked at Linreads & GKN screws & fasteners in the 60s & 70s.
I remember also the son & Grandson of Ephraim who were still there then I believe was the grandsons name Peter?
I remember Ron Maybury think he ran the toolroom when I was there , believe they did a book to mark the 100 years, was in that runing the 3/8 section, love to find a copy.

Hi Charlie

Sorry about the name mix-up. Yes I do remember Trevor Rhodes, he ran the 3/8 Waterbury section along with another guy called Les (can't remember his last name.

Peter
that's who I worked with, he left to form Rhodes Screws.

Does anybody remember my dad Rob West who use drive the class 2 from Ephraim Phillips in Chessington Surrey to Birmingham.
I use to come up with my dad now and again when I was very young. I think he use to come up about twice a week to pick a load up to take back to the warehouse in Chessington. I always remember the engineering smell, still do today. Unfortunately my dad died at the age of 56 in 1994. He was with the company for over 20yrs I think and never was the same after the company closed.

Last edited:
I was an apprentice in the 60's at Ephraim Phillips Ltd in Bissell Street. It would be great to contact fellow work mates.
I also have many old ledgers which belonged to the founder Ephraim Phillips dating back to the 1880's, which I found in a rubbish bin when the company was closing down.

Peter
Hello Peter I don’t suppose you would still have these ledgers would you ?? I would be interested to see if two certain names are listed both for 1963 my grandmother Betty Rees and a man called Phillip Edward’s who eventually married my auntie (my mom’s sister). I have only recently discovered they apparently worked there together in 63 and would love to know if this is true thank you.

Back