• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Entry on Death Certificate

Billbo

Brummie babby
Can someone help in this?

My Grandfather Henry Joseph Barnett of 10 Stanely Place, Tilton Road served in the 2nd Royal Warwickshire Regiment in the Great War, he joined in May 1916, and was drafted to France, where he served in many important engagements including the battles of the Somme, the Ancre, Arras,Vimmy Ridge,Messines, and Bullecourt. He was then transfered to Italy with the Military Police and was sent for demob in January 1919(this information taken from the the National Roll of the Great War) He died one month later in the 1st Southern General Hospital Edgbaston

On his Death Cetificate in the Rank or profession column (5), it says No 24073, Private, 2nd Royal Warwickshire Regiment, then in brackets it says Annealer, on entering this word in google, it came up with the definition as,

1. To subject (glass or metal) to a process of heating and slow cooling in order to toughen and reduce brittleness.
2. To strengthen or harden.

My Grandfather was a Tube Drawer before joining the Army.
Would this maybe mean that he carried on with his trade whilst in the Army, or am i barking completely up the wrong tree.

any help would be appreciated

Bill Barnett

Hello Billbo,

As far as I know the 2nd Btn Royal Warwicks Regiment were Fusiliers, front line riflemen etc so I can,t
see how his trade (Annealer) could be employed in field of action (Unless tempering & rehardening bayonnettes?)

Tube Drawer was (& still is) an all encompassing "Trade" to be classified in covering Gun Barrel hardening. Bicycle tube
frames (popular around Tilton Rd/Small Heath & Aston), the work involved heating to white hot metal, rolling , reducing
size, drawing(stretching) then hardening/tempering, oil/water quenching & many other aspects of Metal treatment,
Probably the "Hell-fire" of those battlefields you mentioned felt quite familiar to this brave chap. Cheers m8 John

I wonder if the term Annealer was entered in brackets because it was his occupation before the war.

Hi Bilbo,,
One of my great uncles who died in similar circumstances following the War had his occupation in his pre-war days (cycle eneameller) entered in brackets on his death cert, he had been in the Infantry, so safe to bet he didn't do that job in the Army, so looks like that may have been the normal practice on death certs in recently discharegd soldiers.
Sue

Back