• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ensor Family

debbieironmonger

master brummie
I am looking for any newspaper articles for the death by suicide of Solomon Ensor B 1903, D: 1929. He left a wife, Leah and 3 children I believe. He was a button maker from around New John Street West area. Any help you can offer is appreciated.

Hello, my family were button makers my grandparents lived in Nechalls and my pop who is 90 remembers buttons all over the house as a child.
Our family has a whole part of the tree we know little about.
I have been asked about Ensor's in Coventry and some in Aston who I do not know.
Some folks here on the forum were kind enough to help with some research on my Grandfather his name Jess Ensor the info can be found on here.
The name Ensor comes from a village called Baddesley Ensor which is still there just a little North East of Birmingham.
I am somewhat sure your Solomon is a relative some where along the way how many Ensor's were in the button business at the turn of the last century

Solomon Ensor married Leah Robinson 3 Apr 1926 but there doesn't appear to be any Ensor/Robinson children.
As stated by me Solomon Ensor is a name new to me, but do we have a location ?.
The OP states three children that's some quick work over such a short period of time.

Solomon Ensor was born in Aston 30 Nov 1902 the son of Solomon Ensor and Elizabeth Shelley.

Solomon snr was born 1876 Aston, son of Charles Ensor. He is listed as Pearl Button Cutter in 1911.

If it was suicide then there might be an inquest report.

Official reports of inquests
As inquests are public enquiries, it is possible to obtain a copy of the post-mortem report and any depositions taken at the inquest, including a copy of the verdict. These official reports are only available after the inquest has concluded. There is a small fee for these documents. Inquest papers are not available before the inquest has been held.
You can get copies of official reports of inquests from the local Coroner's office. To get a report, you will need to write to the Coroner's Office requesting this information and include the name of the deceased, the date of death, the hospital involved (if any) and the date of the inquest (if you know this).

The Solomon Ensor on the 1925 e roll is Solomon snr as he is listed with Elizabeth. Address 3 court 4 New John Street West.

Soloman died September Quarter 1929 Birmingham N. 6d 481.

Perhaps it may be worth obtaining his death certificate as this should give the cause of death.

There is a Soloman Ensor who died of his wounds in WW1. Husband of Elizabeth Ensor of 3/15 New John St. West, Newtown Row, Birmingham. Service number 17055, 11th Bn. Worcester Reg.

Also found a Soloman and Elizabeth on the 1911 census with Soloman (son) age 8. Soloman Snr is a Pearl Button Maker and they live in New John St. West.

Looks like these are the same so I am wondering who the Soloman is on the 1925 roll. Perhaps Elizabeth just did not remove his name. He is on the 1912 in New John St. too,

Back