• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Enos Edwards - Engineer of Birmingham Fire Office 1805 / the Bull Ring Riot 1839

Petal

proper brummie kid
Hi

I have several generations of ancestors that worked as fireman for the Birmingham Fire Office 1805-67 in Union Passage. Although there is lots of information on the later fire service i,e from 1870’s and the Tozer family, I wondered if anyone new of where I could start to find information on the earlier insurance company fire offices/companies, which I believe the Birmingham Fire Office was one of. I have checked out previous posts and there is a little info and some pictures.

I am specifically interested in Enos Edwards ( snr) and Enos Edwards (jnr) Birmingham Fire Office - Union Passage. I do have a bit of information but would like to delve deeper if I can.

Enos Edwards (b1793) and his son Enos Edwards (b1818) were both apparently chief fire engineers for the company - I found this link in a book Ihttps://www.kirkyards.co.uk/historyarticle.asp?ID=382&p=26&g=4. I have also found from reports of state trials that Enos junior was a witness at the trial of chartists after the choas of the 1839 chartist Bull Ring Riots, as he was on duty putting out fires started by the mob (a good general link if anyone is interest in Bull ring riots is https://www.lerwill-life.org.uk/history/gutenberg/1877%20Edwards%20-%20Personal%20Recollections%20of%20Birmingham.pdf .

Does anyone know if it is worth trying the central library in case it has more records of this insurance company, or any other sources I could find? I would like to find the parents of Enos Senior who's father, I presume, must have been chief fire engineer before him too.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks

The 1841 Pigots directory lists the Birmingham Fire Office, John Simmons, at 27 Union St Later directories show it as 25-27 Union St. This was directly next to UnionPassage. It was still there in 1862, but it, and references in the directory of the firm, have disappeared by 1867

Back