• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

England in Colour 1928

Thanks for the link, appreciated.

A bit before my time, but my mom and dad would have been alive then, dad would have been twelve, but mom only six.

Brilliant images though.

I notice the photo of the young boy on a cycle posting a letter. The notice reads 'Time details removed due to correction'. Nowadays it would read 'Removed due to vandalism'. Or am I being cynical?

I notice the photo of the young boy on a cycle posting a letter. The notice reads 'Time details removed due to correction'. Nowadays it would read 'Removed due to vandalism'. Or am I being cynical?
Maybe they were reducing the number of collections from such a small post box. I like the 'Stick No Bills' notice on the signpost ! Postmen in 1928 must have been busy coping with seven collections per day but I suppose the post boxes soon filled with all the postcards and letters being sent in those days.
These days, usually only one daily collection and no travelling post office trains 'crossing the border bringing a cheque and postal order'. I can't remember the last time I sat down and used a pen to write a letter and now only for birthday cards and christmas cards. That shade of red from the old Autochrome photos always makes old photos look nice.

It is indeed a beautiful photo and I just LOVE those shoes!!!! I am given to thinking it was not just a random photo, I think it might have been staged, perhaps for an advert.

I've tried to find the post box which our pretty lady is using but no success but I have found the bus conductor's post box which is next to the Carfax Tower. The red telephone box is still there but the post box has moved about 15ft.
The then and now views can be seen with clicks on the links below.
The Bus Conductor photo then.

Google Streetview today.

In street view a move along the Queen Street shows the gateway.

Back