• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Engines

What about a thread on beer engines. I do not recall one, just pubs. Most pubs and bars had them although I did find many, some years ago, with a barrel and tap.
1582151500670.png Beer Engine restaurant, Exeter.
There has to be a few types and designs and of course a history.

There is a mention of a Birmingham manufacturer at :

By the way Radiorails [sorry, I don't know everyone's name] although there are hand-pulls in modern pubs, the technology has changed somewhat. Many publicans would be lost in the wiring and piping. Most free houses will make an arrangement with one of the big companies such as Coors at Burton and buy their lager from them in exchange for having the management and maintenance of their cellar equipment taken care of by them. A more expensive way of buying their lager but peace-of-mind when the beer lines pack up!

By the way Radiorails [sorry, I don't know everyone's name] although there are hand-pulls in modern pubs, the technology has changed somewhat. Many publicans would be lost in the wiring and piping. Most free houses will make an arrangement with one of the big companies such as Coors at Burton and buy their lager from them in exchange for having the management and maintenance of their cellar equipment taken care of by them. A more expensive way of buying their lager but peace-of-mind when the beer lines pack up!
I believe that a European company, Micro Matic make most of the taps and beer supply piping now. They are global in supply. they also make a majority of the valves that are in each stainless steel keg. And that they work with the breweries managing the maintenance programs you mentioned.

Back