• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Engineering Sayings

M

mike-g

Machinist to fitter.
Q How much more do you want off
A About gnats Knacker.

The ones that always did my head in as a Plumber where
'How's ya pipe?'
a 'Pipe does something for you'
And the worst .....'If a Bricklayer can lay bricks, why can't a Plumber lay Plums?'
Each one delivered a thousand times by a thousand people all thinking they were the first

YES KANDOR ALL THE TRADES MEN  IN VARIETY,S OF TRADE S AN SAYING ,
  BUT WHEN YOU FIRST START WORK  THATS WHEN THEY WIND YOU UP , AND
  AND YOU ARE RIGHT WE ALL THINK WE WERE THE FIRST , AND IN TURN WE REGENERAT
  LIKE THE PAINTERS THEY SAY TO THE NEW APPRENTICE ,
  GO AND FETCH ME THE GLASS HAMMER  FOR REPLACING A PANE OF GLASS ,
  OR ASKED CHARLIE THE FORMAN  FOR THE GALLON OF STRIPED PAINT ,
TO DO THE SKIRTING BOARD S ,

BEING RIGHT DOES,NT COUNT
UNTIL THE RIGHT PEOPLE KNOW YOU,RE RIGHT .

YOU,RE NEVER A LOSER
UNTIL YOU STOP TRYING .

Re Engineering Sayings,

Toolmaker I once worked with would say, "you wouldn't see that going down the road on a number 8 bus," if you/he did a good job of something. Never got it myself.

I heard a foreman tell a trainee to go to the stores and ask for a long weight. The storeman, in on the jokes, told the lad to wait there. He stood to one side for ages.

Got sent to the drawing stores at the GEC Switchgear once to get a "SHORT CIRCUIT DIAGRAM " & I know many a lad sent to the tool stores for a "BIRMINGHAM SCREWDRIVER" (Hammer by any other name).
ASTON

If something was done not quite right but it'd do I've heard the phrase: "A galloping man on horseback wouldn't notice."... similar to shavedfish49's number 8 bus I s'pose. :redface:

My hubby still uses the phrase a "job in the town" he also remembers an apprentice being sent for a bag of spirit bubbles!:rolleyes:

Egineering Sayings

When i was an appretice toolmaker, many a good scive was to go along with the old old toolmakers who sent you to central stores for a SACK OF SPARKS for the grinder or for a LONG WEIGHT or a BOX OF HALF INCH HOLES many a clip round the ear i got of the chief storekeeper.:p

Great memories Bro, nice to see you posting lets have some more!:)

An old Foreman of mind at Lucas who was in the Navy in war used the saying for any big order "This ones going to be a Dockyard Job"

More Black Country than Brummie, but when something required a heavy thump or a whack with a hammer, the expression that always made me laugh was, "Gie it a cog 'eaver, mate!" I haven't got the faintest idea what a 'cog heaver' was, is or might be.:D

My old man used to tell me I was as "thick as an 'alf-ender".

Bg Gee

Back